Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a leaking shed?

Rolfe123
Getting Established

How to repair a leaking shed?

Hello Bunnings workshop,

I have a shed that leaks from the gutters, my shed has a box guttering system. I would like to cover the gutter with a new guttering is this possible?

IMG_1248.jpegIMG_1249.jpegIMG_1248.jpeg

IMG_1249.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to repair a leaking shed?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Rolfe123. We're delighted to have you join our wonderful community of like-minded D.I.Y. enthusiasts who are sharing their D.I.Y. projects and exchanging helpful advice on the site every day. 

Sorry to hear about your leaking shed. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist as soon as he can. Let me also call upon our knowledgeable experts @Jewelleryrescue@Dave-1@Noyade and @JDE in case they have any thoughts. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @Rolfe123 

Never fun having rust in your gutters, I have had so many holes I could see the stars in mine 😕 Is there any chance of a further back photo so we can get a better idea of the guttering?

You have removed the utters already or does the gutter go up and around? A photo end on would be handy as well.

Covering guttering is probarly not possible 😕 I have used a plastic product called gutter repair to stop leaks, it does work but is only a short term solution. (To get you out of the immediate issue) It looks like a wide black tape. Deks 140 x 500mm Black Rapid Flash Repair Strip 

Dave

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Rolfe123 

Typically this repair was done with lead flashing but the price of that is over the roof parden the pun So  consider  using aluminium flashing and a bitumous  paint to glue it down and seal it.

Cut of a repair section with scissors  mold it over roof and gutter shape and  paint both the surfaces  with bitumum  paint and  press into place and  once dry seal over the edges  with more bitumum  membrain  paint.

Tip  use a cheap disposable  brush a  clean up is not good.

CAgroup 300 x 0.3mm x 10m Weatherflash  I/N: 1100457 40.50

Gripset Betta 1L Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber

I/N: 0960165

$21.19

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Rolfe123 

It's great that you've received great advice from @Dave-1 and @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a look at Consolidated Alloys 75mm x 3m Weatherproof Byute Flash Flashing Tape, it's ideal for these types of repairs. 

If you are referring to installing a gutter within the gutter, I don't recommend doing this as it will lead to both gutters deteriorating in a short amount of time. What will happen is that moisture will get trapped between the gutter layers which will accelerate corrosion. I suggest replacing the gutter that you currently have with a new one rather than sandwiching them together.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hello Jewelleryrescue,

I am in the midst of laying out the flashing but Inam finding difficult to lay due to the ridges, is there any knack of laying the flashing neatly?IMG_1602.jpegIMG_1604.jpeg

Hi @Rolfe123 

The aim would be to get that flashing under the  roofing tin laying  more flat,  With out that flashing under the  roofing sheets we are fighting a loosing battle.

So the water  flows off the roof  over the flashing down the gutter. 

So that guttering section is being used to hold the roofing sheets into place a close pressue fit.

@Rolfe123   Is is possible to flatten that flashing out and slide the flashin from the inside of the roof also into the guttering section/

You may have to put a timber wedge ,  chisel between roof sheet and the shed  base to lift it 1mm to slide flashing through.

So the aim is the flashing joins the  roof in the same way repairing the hole form with in.

or you can use a small piece of flashing and just externally repair the hole seal with silicon, not the full lenght,  Try get the alumminum in the gutter groove not over it,

Great  work so far  we  willl get there.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Rolfe123 

After having a closer look at your roofing assembly, I propose removing the front covering panel by drilling out the blind rivets holding it in place. This will then allow you full access to the small gutter that is attached to your shed. I've now noticed that a fair bit of repairs was applied to it and as you've said it is still leaking.

Once you have the gutter cover off, I suggest scrubbing the rusted portions of the gutter with a steel brush and patching it up with Consolidated Alloys 75mm x 3m Weatherproof Byute Flash Flashing Tape. I then recommend putting on Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant where the gutter side and shed wall meet.

Looking at your roofing edge, I recommend brushing the rusted portions as well and applying White Knight 300g Cold Gal Silver Rust Guard Spray Paint. Once you've applied all the repairs, you can then re-attach the front cover to the shed.

In regards to the lead flashing, I propose using a short piece of timber and a mallet to shape it into your roof covering.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hello Jewelleryrescue,

I have carried out the repair on my shed as you have suggested and we have had 24 hours rain and not a drop. So far so good now I can fix the electrics in the shed without fear of electrocution.

Many thanks for your help.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear that you successfully resolved the issue @Rolfe123

I'd encourage you to enlist the services of an electrician to fix the electrics in your shed, as working with 240V power is not a D.I.Y. job.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects