Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair flaking epoxy paint?

Leaf
Finding My Feet

How to repair flaking epoxy paint?

I’ve done this in my garage and it looks awesome. Its also really easy to clean because it doesnt hold dust like unsealed concrete. 
my question is how do you patch it?

Ive got a couple of worn spots from car wheels turning which lifted the paint. Is there a patch kit or what is the best way to fix it?20 cm2 area of patchy epoxy floor20 cm2 area of patchy epoxy floor

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair flaking epoxy paint?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Leaf. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing epoxy floor paint.

I just wanted to confirm that you followed the etching instructions before painting the floor? If so, the only real option is to scrape back any loose paint around the lifted area and touch it up with the same epoxy system you used before. The chances are that the repair will still be somewhat noticeable but better than the current state. Unfortunately, there are no patch kits that I am aware of, and you'll likely have to buy a larger container of the coating.

Apply a thicker coating to the middle of the lifted areas and then feather the coat out and onto the surrounding painted surface. This will help blend the transition between old and new paint. Make sure the surrounding paint and concrete are thoroughly cleaned before applying your new coat.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to repair flaking epoxy paint?

Thanks Mitchell. Definitely did all the cleaning, etching, drying and waiting for the right temperature range.

I had hoped there was a patch option as another whole kit is expensive but appreciate the advice

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects