Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace damaged Anka screw?

gmw72
Getting Established

How to replace damaged Anka screw?

Hi there,

I am in need of some advice please.

I've just installed shelving in my garage......and I've come across 1 small problem.

I installed heavy duty shelf brackets with 8mm x 60mm Anka screws.

Each bracket has three screws........and unfortunately 1 screw in 1 bracket stripped out. I am assuming the crumbly / brittle brickwork broke, and the thread didn't take in the brick.

The screw that didn't take is the top one on a bracket.....so therefore the attachment that is taking most of the load I assume.

Anyways.......I need to replace the Anka screw with something, but not sure what.

I used heavy duty brackets, rated to 300kg.

19mm structural ply.

And the 8mm X 60mm Anka screws.

I am not sure of the weight I'll be loading on the shelves, but wanted to make it completely sturdy so it can take a good amount of weight.

Pictures attached here.

Appreciate advice from those that know what I should do to fix.

Thanks,

Grant.

IMG_0724.JPGIMG_0730.JPGIMG_0731.JPG 

wooshka
Making a Splash

Re: Anka Screw didn't take (stripped).....what now?

Hi @gmw72 , those screws are designed i think to only go into a solid substance, so it there is a cavity in the brick when you drill there is nothing to compact when they tighten, you will probably need to replace them with some DynaBolts or Loxin achors 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace damaged Anka screw?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @gmw72. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing Ankascrews.

I just wanted to confirm that Ankascrews are suitable for hollow bricks; I did need to double-check, though. As @wooshka mentioned, you must be very careful when tightening them, especially in hollow brick. You need to tighten them until the fixture is held firm, but do not over-tighten them. One turn past firm, and you'll start stripping the brick out.

I'd suggest your best option here is to move the bracket over to a new area and re-install it. I wouldn't recommend you install a Dynabolt into the same crumbling hole, as I can't imagine it would grip the crumbling material any better, even though it expands.

If you think you might have stripped out a few of the other bricks, you can back your Ankascrews out and squeeze in some Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus before re-inserting your screws. This will glue the screws into the hollow brick and fill any voids. Although this product sounds like a solution to your current predicament, I wouldn't necessarily advise you to use it as a quick fix for a brick with no internal integrity. It's more so for glueing a fixing into a non-compromised brick.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gmw72
Getting Established

Thanks for your reply Mitchell, much appreciated.

I was thinking about using the UltraFix Plus......but rather than using with the Anka Screw, I was thinking to install a stud with the glue, and then install the nut once the glue has cured.

I am not sure if I install the glue with the Anka Screw that I'll be able to torque down the screw, as it'll still likely be stripped (when glue is still curing).

I installed 17 others (Anka screws) yesterday, and all are good.......just this dodgy one.

Argh!

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Regards,

Grant.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Moving the bracket sounds like the best option then, Grant (@gmw72).

Mitchell

or remove the anka screw and replace with Ramset Universal Anchor

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @thibbert

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @gmw72 to make them aware of your suggestion. The Ramset Universal Anchor could possibly work under the right conditions. If the hole in the brick is not very big and the sleeve still fits reasonably snug, it should anchor itself onto the brick. However, if the structure of the brick has been compromised it's better to relocate the screw.

Eric

gmw72
Getting Established

Hi Eric and @thibbert 

Thank you for your inputs above.

I can see that the Ramset universal anchor would work.......I am just concerned about the strength of this as a fixing on my shelf set-up. I am not sure this would be strong enough? (of course it would be better than a stripped Anka Screw :smile:

Especially since the fixing which has failed is the highest hole in bracket, which will take most load I am assuming.

As indicated in original post, the brackets are rated at 300kg, and I've used 19mm structural ply......and 3 Anka Screws per bracket.

Attached here is a picture of the finished shelf now, and partially loaded with items.

Can you advise whether I am correct in thinking the universal anchor won't likely be strong enough......and if I should go with a chemical solution?

I am really not wanting to re-drill / move the bracket if I don't have to.

Many thanks.

Grant.

IMG_0742.JPG

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

HI @gmw72 

A tried and proven fix I used  a 1000 times over is to pull out the loose screw fully. 

I have a packet of bamboo skewers and stick 1 or 2 of them in the hole to take up space.  Fill hole 50% to 75%  but not super compact then snap them off at wall and then re install old loose screw this should go in nice and tight and i never had one of these fail to-date.  Swing your whole  weight on it and test it.  Repeat if  other holes a little loose too. Old carpenters  trick they used to use matches on smaller screws back in the day.

If this dosnt work first go repack holes  with more sticks. As a plan B 

No need to super over tighten screw just until it is flush  then a  1/4 turn as main weight bearing is straight down typically.

Use long sticks as short sticks dost 'work un less they are  at least same size as screw.

If you dont have skewers  pack the  hole with any timber i have even  used  dried hard  twigs from outside tree just use long skinny one.

This also works   with all the fasteners into brick and hollow brick.

Good luck  hope this helps

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Grant @gmw72,

I have concerns about using a Ramset Universal Anchor in a compromised hole. I'd be more comfortable with you glueing the Ankascrew in place. However, there is no better solution than moving the bracket slightly to the left or right to fresh material. If you couldn't possibly move the bracket, then I think it would be worth entertaining the idea of changing/glueing fixings or packing out the hole. That doesn't seem to be the case here, so I'd recommend shifting the bracket over 5cm. You'll then have a shelf that you can load up to full capacity without ever having to wonder whether your fix worked.

As someone that suffers from lifelong injuries because of a shelf failing due to incorrectly installed fixings, I'd hate to see you or your loved ones injured when a permanent fix involves just a slight relocation of a bracket.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects