Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop water coming through brickwork?

norms
Getting Established

How to stop water coming through brickwork?

I have a store room which is partially under ground, about 1m. The external wall is single brick, I am getting water coming through the brickwork when it rains where it joins the slab and also through the wall itself.

It is impossible to get to the positive side of the water transfer due to paving and concrete stairs.

Is there a suitable product to seal the wall on the inside, I know that water usually pushes sealers away.

The part of the external wall above ground is not leaking.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop water coming through brickwork?

That's a difficult situation, @norms. It sounds like you've done your research and know that remediation work should always be done from the exterior of the wall. On the inside, you could attempt to use Dunlop 4L Damp-Proof Waterproofing which will resist negative hydrostatic pressure. How well it's resists will be determined by the pressure exerted on it from the water trying to penetrate the wall. 

If there is a gap or crack between the wall and floor you might be best trying to fill that with Sikaflex 11FC.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to stop water coming through brickwork?

Afternoon @norms 

Feel your pain, really do. I had a similar problem but was lucky I could dig out that meter plus of soil and leave the wall exposed. Tho after I had done it all I found that the edge of my patio sloped towards the brick wall and there was a gap that it looked like that the water when it poured would run through and down the insid eof the gap. I sealed it up with a caulking style tube (black) 

I had originally thought it was entering via the subsurface soil and it was but not all of it was.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects