Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat garage roof timber battens?

Yammuna
Getting Established

How to treat garage roof timber battens?

We recently bought a 30 yr old house and the garage has timber battens on the roof. It's pretty old, looks worn out but not as much if it's time to replace it. So need to know if some cleaning and wood treatment will extend its lifetime for a few more years. 

Attaching the picture for reference. Has anyone come across such a scenario? Any diy ideas welcome. Thanks! 

IMG-20231020-WA0004.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garage roof timber battens treatment

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Yammuna. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about hardwood.

30 years in a short length of time for a hardwood that is in a dry location, and from what I can see, these show no sign of decay. Their lifespan would be in the vicinity of 150+ years unless they become water-damaged. That "worn out" look is exactly the same as the day they were installed; that's just the look of hardwood. So, it's just the aesthetics you could work on if they're troubling you. You could paint them if you wanted or consider installing Gyprock sheeting over them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello MitchellMc, 

Thank you very much. If I go with painting, should I be treating the wood prior to paint coat? Also, thank you for sharing the option of installing Gyprock sheeting. most helpful! Appreciate! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You can paint straight over the timber @Yammuna; there is no need to treat it first.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi again @Yammuna.

I thought I'd add that although there is no need to treat the timber, applying a primer like Dulux 500ml White Prepcoat 1Step Oil Based Primer Sealer And Undercoat is likely a good idea to ensure your topcoat paint adheres sufficiently to the timber.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to treat garage roof timber battens?

Afternoon @Yammuna 

I really like the look of the beams in their natural colour. And I wouldnt think they need anything to prolong their life. As @MitchellMc  says they are hardwood :smile: Not going anywhere anytime soon.

I actually left my garage beams as they were when I redid my garage. I think they add character. If I get fed up with that type of look I have thought to do the ceiling with a thin slatted type look with 20mm timber then 20mm gap and so on. My garage walls looked pretty much like yours until I lined them with plaster :smile:

Dave

Appreciate Mitchell. 

Yammuna
Getting Established

Good to know @Dave-1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I agree, it certainly has a vintage character to it. Our only concern was if they were sufficiently take care of. And of course, since we are working through a lot of updates across the house we wanted to make sure everything came along together without being visually broken in many different sections. Can I please ask if you did the wall plastering by yourself from scratch or using plaster boards? Also how much did it cost you approx figure will help! Thanks!😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Yammuna 

Let me tag @Dave-1 to make sure he is aware of your questions. If you proceed with this particular project, please don't forget to post an update. I'm sure our members would be keen to see what it will look like.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Yammuna
Getting Established

Thank you @EricL 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects