Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof door frame?

badmojo
Getting Established

How to waterproof door frame?

Hi,

The bottom aluminum frame of our exterior garage door is not sealed and causes water to come in to the garage.

Any suggestions on sealing this frame to make it waterproof?

Thank you

1000015477.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to waterproof door frame?

Hi @badmojo,

Thank you for your question.

In order to fix this issue, you'll need to find the entry point for the water. 

If it is simply getting in under the door, you might like to look at our range of door bottom seals as an option to help prevent the water getting in.

If it is getting in under the frame of the door, it might require a bead of sealant such as Sikaflex 11FC in a suitable colour to match, on the outside of the frame.

If you don't feel that either of these are the answers, this might require the services of a roofing plumber, as the entry point might be somewhere above and is tracking down through the walls. 

Please feel free to get in touch if you have any further questions or would like some clarification.

Jacob

badmojo
Getting Established

Thanks Jacobz for the suggestion. Could you suggest a door bottom seal that is suitable for this door?

VideoCapture_20240415-210835.jpg

The water seems to come in below the aluminum frame on testing.

1000015477.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @badmojo,

Do you happen to know why this does has been installed to open outwards instead of in? Is there something obstructing it inside? Typically, exterior doors open inwards, and I'm just wondering if this might have something to do with the water entering.

There is a sill on the inside of the door. Do you think the water is coming in under the door and then up over the sill? Or, as @JacobZ mentioned, could it be moving under the sill? 

Adding the Moroday MDS2B Self-Adhesive Black Econo Door-Seal on the outside could prevent water from travelling under the door and inside.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc for the response. As this is a double garage, the door opening inwards could block one of the 2 cars if parked inside. 

Thanks also for the suggestion on the door seal.

I did try to pour water under the sill to check and it went through the other end. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @badmojo,

I would suggest you apply a bead of Sika 11FC of a suitable colour to match, between the bottom of the sill and the concrete on the outside of the door. Clean the area thoroughly, allow it to dry and then apply the bead following the instructions in in How to apply silicone sealant and How To Silicone a Gap.

Make sure to keep a bucket of water and sponge nearby for any cleanup as it is easy while the sealant is still wet but can prove quite difficult after it has set.

Let me know if you need any further advice.

Jacob

badmojo
Getting Established

Hi Bunnings Workshop Team,

I did my best with the sealant.

1000017691.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's looking great, @badmojo. Well done. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects