Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas to temporarily seal carport?

ammarahs
Just Starting Out

Ideas to temporarily seal carport?

Hi everyone,

I’m moving to lovely, hot Townsville and it seems like most rentals have carports (photo below) and no underground parking. I have a fairly expensive hatchback that I would like to protect, especially from the heat/unexpected weather events. 

5D34C709-FF04-4C98-963B-0EFDF7BA5B6E.jpeg

Would anyone have any suggestions of sealing this carport? (must have the ability to be easily removed when I leave). Please let me know what you think of my suggestion:

I am thinking of using heavy duty clear tarp and zip-tying these sheets to the poles. I am not too sure how I will go about doing a tarp door so that it is sealed on all four sides? Maybe using velcro so it has the ability to be rolled up and down?

BA5F5DA8-B3B8-472E-9D03-5DAC40BE3CBD.png

Any other suggestions would be most welcomed - again, since it is a rental it has to be able to be removed.

Thanks in advance,

Ammarah

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ideas to temporarily seal carport?

Hello @ammarahs

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us, and sharing your question about how to temporarily seal your carport.

Your idea is very good. I suggest using Pillar 1.83 x 5m Cream 90% Shade Cloth. It can be used to shade living and entertaining areas from heat and UV. You can also use it to create privacy and weather screens. It is rated to provide up to 90% UV protection. I believe this will be adequate to protect your car. I recommend using Crescent 200 x 4.6mm Outdoor Universal Cable Ties - 25 Pack. If you're handy with a thread and needle you can attach VELCRO® Brand 25mm x 1m White Stick And Sew Hook And Loop Tape to the entrance side of your carport. You can also configure the velcro to hold the shade cloth when you roll it up so that you can take your car out.

However, If your rental property has a body corporate, I suggest asking them for permission before you begin attaching the shade cloth to your parking spot. Your other option is to use a heavy-duty car cover with lockable straps. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects