Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Nail size for 90 x 45mm stud wall?

pnolave
Growing in Experience

Nail size for 90 x 45mm stud wall?

Hello,

I'm replacing our current Colorbond shed.

I'll be building the new shed with stud-walls (H3 TP 90x45) so I can include insulation.
It'll be 3000 high (18sqm), on concrete.
I'll be nailing it by hand.

Can someone tell me what nail size I should use please?

I was advised to avoid screws as nails have a higher tolerance to movement. Is this correct?

Many thanks

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Nail size for 90 x 45mm stud wall?

Good morning @pnolave 

Your project sounds like a lot of fun! I would love to have a freestanding shed :smile: Welcome to the bunnings community page :smile:  I like it here as there are so many ideas and ways to do something.

To the question about nailing frames together vs screwing. I was taught to nail (with a nailgun) then screw or just screw if you dont have a nail gun. It is supposed to be stronger? But a carpenter may disagree.  As I dont have a nail gun I used screws and they worked a treat. Garage converted to a Libary  is a project where I used the screws (actually posted a photo of the screws lol Its in the step 4 of the project) There is also another one where I fit out the room with stud walls.I used External Timber Screws Countersunk 10-8*75mm for the 75mm timber (I used smaller timber then you are I just realised)

Hope these ideas help.

Dave

pnolave
Growing in Experience

Thanks Dave,

Yes, it will be fun.....especially as I'll also be including a make-over of the back yard.

Hmmm......I don't own a nail gun, so I'll just look at screws instead,

Cheers!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@pnolave 

Seriously the screws were easy.  And the frames went together so well. Troll through the project photos in Garage lining for stud walls stage 1 and you will see how easy they can go together. Remember to rotate to horizontal the studs so you can run cables easier if needed and also when framing out doorways to allow for facing timber on the inside are the two main things I learned.

Looking forward to the pics :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @pnolave 

Thanks for sharing your question about building a stud wall. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1

Should you decide to use a longer screw such as the Zenith 10G x 100mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws, please remember to drill pilot holes to prevent snapping the screw heads off.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to build a stud wall

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
pnolave
Growing in Experience

Thanks EricL,

I'll certainly be using those.

Cheers!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects