Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

No frills Red Oak tool cabinet

PeakyBlinder71
Building a Reputation

No frills Red Oak tool cabinet

Here's the tool cabinet I made a while ago. I wanted something simple, mobile and could be split into two parts if I ever moved house. The materials used are veneered red oak ply from Bunnings, birch ply, solid red oak (Bunnings) for the doors and all the edge banding was done using iron on white oak. All joinery is tongue & groove / dowels.

IMG_8918.JPG IMG_8933.JPG

IMG_8921.JPG IMG_8923.JPG

IMG_8931.JPG IMG_8922.JPG

If theres enough interest I'll upload the construction.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: No frills Red Oak tool cabinet

Hello @PeakyBlinder71

Thank you very much for sharing pictures of your Oak tool cabinet project. The craftsmanship on the finish is superb, it looks like it has no frills, but the cabinet is professionally finished. The drawer gaps are all in alignment and the joins on the doors are excellent. Did you put in some sort of locking mechanism for the two cabinets when joined together? 

Any other information you can share about the cabinet's assembly would be highly appreciated.

Again, thank you for sharing your beautiful Oak tool cabinet project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PeakyBlinder71
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the kind comments mate. The two parts are just screwed into each other, I don't suspect there will be much wear as I wont be moving that much :smile:

I like the 18mm solid red oak project panels Bunnings are stocking now, it saves me having to mill the boards myself. Do you know if they can get any white oak or maybe even walnut/Jarrah?.

edit: I'll try and post my construction photo's this evening :smile:

Hi @PeakyBlinder71

Thank you very much for answering my question. I'm sure our members will find that extra bit of detail quite handy. 

We look forward to seeing your construction photos.

Eric

PeakyBlinder71
Building a Reputation

So I started out with a plan using sketchup, I wanted something simple, mobile and could be split into two parts if I ever moved house. The materials used are veneered red oak ply, birch ply, solid red oak for the doors and all the edge banding was done using iron on white oak.

Sketchup Plan....

01 The Design.jpg

Some of the plywood cut to size...

03 Cut Parts.jpg  04 Cut Parts.jpg

The base complete. Eventually a strip of veneered red oak will be glued to the front to hide the screws.

05 Base Complete.jpg  06 Base Complete.jpg

The back panel & mid support glue up, using dowel joinery. The most accurate doweling jig is one you make yourself, I've tried many and they're all not accurate enough for me.

07 Back Glueup.jpg  08 Support Glueup.jpg

Here's my doweling jig...

IMG_8910.jpg

The supports, back's & base all complete.

.09 Back - Base & SUpports Complete.jpg

Veneered red oak glue up to hide the front base screws.

10 Front Red Oak Glueup.jpg

After assembling the carcass I went ahead and started gluing the rails and stiles to the sides which hid all the scews!, I left a few mils around the edge so I could flush trim them using the router.

11 Fake Rails & Stiles Glueup.jpg  12 Fake Rails & Stiles Glueup.jpg

Carcass complete & checked for squareness!.

13 Carcass Complete.jpg14 Carcass Complete.jpg

The top and wheels added.

15 Top and Wheels attached.jpg

Close up of some of the veneer.

16 Side Top Panel Grain.jpg

The drawers were constructed using tongue & groove, everything went together pretty well however at this point I started to get tennis elbow!, something I've never suffered with until now!.I was going to make my own runners but opted to buy some cheap ones for the small drawers and some soft close for the bottoms.

17 Drawers Cut.jpg18 Drawer Assembly.jpg19 Drawers Complete.jpg

Attaching the veneered plywood fronts.

20 Drawer Fronts.jpg  21 Drawer Fronts Complete.jpg

Door assembly using solid red oak for the rail & stiles. I've never worked with red oak before &
suddenly realised during cutting the stuff, it has a very distinct smell that I can't quite put my finger on!.

22 Door Assembly.jpg  23 Door Glueup.jpg

Shellac time!. 3 coats of the hard stuff, lovely.... dry's quick, and you can cut it back to whatever sheen you want!, you just can't beat the traditional finishes. I cut the sheen back using 0000 steel wool to create a nice even satin finish which still shows the grain, just how I wanted it!. I also added a little dark oak tint to the first coat of shellac to make the grain pop abit more...

Hi @PeakyBlinder71

Thank you very much for posting those construction photos. Those panels are so precisely cut and the shellac coating is amazing. It's so wonderful seeing it all come together piece by piece. I'm sure our members will find this cabinet assembly truly inspirational.

Eric

DIYScientist
Growing in Experience

This looks absolutely amazing! I am very impressed with this and your joinery.

I love the drawer pulls which has space for labels. How long did it take for you to construct this cabinet? I can see a lot of planning went into this project.

I was thinking of doing something similar in my garage. I too was thinking of building a cabinet which can partially disassemble if/when I need to move house. Your post has inspired me. Thanks!

theparlourroom
Having an Impact

@PeakyBlinder71 bookmarking this for when I finally have a property with a garage!! Super practical, but also absolutely stunning. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DIYScientist

Let me tag @PeakyBlinder71 to make them aware of your very kind words. I totally agree the tool cabinet is a master class in timber joinery. The care and precision with which this cabinet was assembled are truly outstanding.  The overall finish is just superb, I can see it providing many years of service. 

When the time comes for you to build your tool cabinet, please keep us updated. I'm sure our members would be keen to see your version of the tool cabinet.

Eric

@DIYScientist  Hi, Thanks for your kind comments. The plan originally started out as a drawing, then I transferred the idea to a 3D rendering program (sketchup).  From start to finish I think it took about 3 months on and off. The drawer pulls I got off Amazon. For small garages and if you rent its a good idea to keep everything mobile by putting wheels on everything.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects