Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Power tool charging and storage station

Usedbloom
Having an Impact

Power tool charging and storage station

IMG_8683.jpg

So fresh off the high of building my first workbench (Compact Mobile Workbench) and the inspiration from a few posts on this forum and videos on Youtube, I decided to jump right in and build my own power tool charging station with the leftover materials I had (mostly 9mm and 12mm plywood) from my workbench. 

I drew up a few sketches and ideas, taking note of some handy features and dimensions from other projects such as the size of my power tools and having the top (charging) shelf on an angle so to easily access the batteries and see the charging indicator lights (thanks Wayne for this idea!). Again, I was pretty limited for space, with the wall above my bench only giving me approximately 50cm width and about 25-30cm depth; compact but still plenty of space for drill bit cases, tools etc.

IMG_8644.jpg

It only took about one afternoon to cut, sand and assemble. And again I only used limited power tools such as a standard drill driver, multi-tool and jigsaw (that I splurged and purchased for my collection 😅). Again, I tried to use anything I already had such as leftover screws and polyurethane from the workbench so nothing goes to waste. I was luck enough that all the leftovers from the workbench were enough for this project, so ultimately it was a 2-for-1 purchase.

To attach to the wall, I ended up attaching some pine to the 2 wall studs that I could find (I have a steel frame house and it is extremely frustrating to find studs accurately and drill into, even with magnets and stud finders) and then drilled the shelf into this. Because of this, I also had to attach a small piece of scrap pine to the bottom back of the shelf to level it out and stop it from flexing.

58C12247-AF33-4530-BBA8-6ACC9B411727.JPG  IMG_8681.jpg

I did also try to create a small shelf on the side to store pencils, markers, scissors etc with some scrap ply. However I'm thinking of removing this and trying again as it's a little too wide and once coated with polyurethane, the hole sizes changed and I can no longer fit pencils in - oops!

IMG_8682.jpg

To finish it off I'm going to attach a power board to the right hand side or along the top that I can leave the chargers plugged into, as I only have the 1 power outlet available. Of course this means another trip to Bunnings 😜

Hopefully others have found this helpful or inspiring! Happy to answer any questions or take on feedback 😄

E778608D-BBF4-4543-92A8-4BD52652A620.JPG

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Power tool charging and storage station

Wow this is brilliant @Usedbloom. Thanks for sharing so much detail about your project.

It's great to hear that you were inspired by other projects on Workshop, and I'm sure this project will go on to inspire others.

I love all the small details, such as including storage for pencils, markers and scissors. It'll be handy to have everything you need right in front of you while you're hard at work.

We look forward to seeing all the projects that will come out of this new workshop space.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Power tool charging and storage station

Nice one @Usedbloom. Great to see you were inspired by Workshop to build your own. I'm sure your handiwork will also inspire others to have a go. 👍

Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects