Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Preparing for a timber shed base

lombardj
Finding My Feet

Preparing for a timber shed base

Hi gurus.

I've been tasked with setting up a shed in the backyard. This is the shed we intend to install. (https://www.bunnings.com.au/lifetime-2-1-x-2-1-x-2-27m-polyethylene-garden-shed_p3318106?store=6140&...

Have decided on setting up on a timber frame rather than concrete. While the instruction manual shows how to setup the base frame, it doesn't go into detail on how to prepare the surface where the frame will be setup on. I'm after advice on how the best way to prepare the surface. I've seen a few videos where they suggest using around 4inches of gravel that sits within another wooden frame. So I guess I'll have a wooden frame with gravel in it and on top of that, the actual wooden frame for this shed? Ideas, thoughts please? 

Cheers

J

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Preparing for a timber shed base

Hi @lombardj,

Let me tag a few helpful members for you to kick off the discussion about how best to prepare the surface for your timber base: @Adam_W@tom_builds@Brad.

@EricL will also be happy to assist when he is back on the site tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Jason :smile:

Hi @lombardj rather than describing something that can instead be watched & paused... have a look at this video I made for installing a shadehouse as it sounds like you are thinking of a very similar sort of base.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lombardj

Thank you for sharing your question about a timber shed base. 

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @Adam_W. His video recommendation of making a shed base is spot on. I suggest using the H4 Microshades Sleeper 200 x 50mm - 3.0m. It is termite-resistant and suitable for use in vegetable beds and Children’s play areas. The screws he used are the Buildex 16-8 x 75mm Climacoat Type 17 Timber Construction Screws - 20 Pack to join the sleepers together.  There are several versions of the Sleeper Pegs, I suggest visiting your local store to determine which one you will need.

Please consider carefully where you will direct the Reln Stretch Ag-Pipe 100mm x 8m Slotted and Socked outlet. One roll of the Pillar Products 0.915 x 10m WaterLOCK Premium Mulch Mat will be enough to cover your timber shed base area. I'm sure our members would be keen to see your progress while building this timber shed base. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Here is a handy link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular garage and shed projects

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects