Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Repairing painted garage floor

PeterM10
Finding My Feet

Repairing painted garage floor

One  example of 4 areas where paint has liftedOne example of 4 areas where paint has liftedIMG_3356.jpgAnother typical exampleAnother typical exampleI have painted my garage floor with White Knight Ultra Pave Heavy Duty Garage Floor paint( oil base).  For some reason the paint has lifted where the tyres of the cars are parked, This only happened on one occasion and after the paint was down for about 10 days. For some reason it happened after rain and the tyres were wet in 4 areas for 2 cars when garaged. ( not sure if this was a reason)  The paint hasn't lifted again and in no other spots ( refer photos. }

How can I repair the damage and do I need to put a sealer over the floor to prevent this happening again . Also could you please recommended a sealer to use if necessary

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repairing painted garage floor

Hello @PeterM10

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about your painted garage floor.

There are only a few conditions for the White Knight Ultra Pave Heavy Duty Medium Grey Concrete And Paving Paint to lift. A contaminated surface, an incompatible surface due to a previous covering and incomplete preparation. I suggest sanding the damaged area in a square pattern approximately 100mm from the center of the damage. Make sure that this area is thoroughly sanded and that any previous coating below it has been sanded down as well.

Wash the sanded area with dishwashing soap and water. This will remove both oil and grease from that spot. Allow the area to totally dry off before putting on the new coat of Ultra Pave. Make sure that the paint has totally cured before running it over with the car. You will need to observe the garage floor and see if you get paint tire pick up from any other area. If you get a similar type of damage those spots will need to be sanded down as well.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Repairing painted garage floor

Thanks Eric, I will give it a try

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects