Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rust remover

Ben54
Just Starting Out

Rust remover

I just read about some guy wanted to remove rust from his fathers old tools, well I used to make, restore and repair furniture, i worked from home and I used old tools. A quiet a few I still have but not used in many years about 26 year in fact. I would also pick up some from garage sale but in a lot of cases rusty, the best I found that killed the rust was Molasses, you could buy it at most hardwares, famers feed their cows this stuff in the old day. you mixed it with water then leave it 2 or 3 hours or a day, on really bad rusty tools may be 2 or 3 days. And it was cheap, did a briliant job on rust, make sure you treat the tool after with kill rust or some rust preventive after you have finish cleaning everything up. I hope this helps anyone who love old tools and uses them like I did.

I was well known in the area for my work, some may remember me as Ben Feltham, things have changed alot over the years I haven't done any woodwork, which was my business name (Wood Work) It's an art that's mostly lost I think these day, a shame.

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Rust remover

Hi @Ben54, and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you here.

Thanks very much for your brilliant tip about using molasses to clean rusty tools. Some years back another community member here, @Super_D, posted some great photos showing what a terrific result he got using molasses to clean one of his father's rusty tools.

Perhaps there aren't quite as many people doing woodwork these days, but Super66 and quite a few other members of the Workshop community have doing some wonderful things with wood.

You might like to have a look at some of our Top 10 most popular woodworking projects.

Do you ever get the itch to pick up the tools again? Do you have any photos of your work you're like to share?

Brad

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Rust remover

Great to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community @Ben54. It sounds like you have fantastic knowledge and experience to share with other members. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you have something to add to the conversation or a project to share. Perhaps you could share some of your woodworking creations? They are bound to find an appreciative audience here. 

Regarding rust, there's some other tips from members in this Best Advice article - How do you remove rust from tools?

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects