Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What Ryobi products and batteries are compatible?

otnimus
Finding My Feet

What Ryobi products and batteries are compatible?

I am planning to get a cordless Ryobi lawn mower: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-lithium-36v-5-0ah-18-brushless-lawn-mower-kit_p0088131

And I also need a drill and looking at this one: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-18v-one-drill-driver-skin-only_p0096074 which is a skin only. How do I know if I can use the mower's battery for this drill? And in general how do I tell which Ryobi products will share batteries? Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I know which Ryobi products can share battery pack

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @otnimus. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

There are two styles of battery with Ryobi units the 18v range and the 36v range. These are different batteries and are not interchangeable. Every tool that states it is 18v can interchange its battery with other 18v units and 36v tools can interchange their battery with other 36v tools. You'll find the 36v tools and batteries are exclusive to the gardening machines.

If you wish to use the lawnmowers batteries with your drill as well, you might like the consider the 18v Ryobi mowers instead of the 36v machines. That way you have all the same system of batteries.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc thank you for your response.

So what are the main differences between the two lawn mowers given that they are priced the same and they are both brushless? Without considering battery sharing, which one would you recommend? Or even better, in what situation would you recommend one over the other?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-lithium-36v-5-0ah-18-brushless-lawn-mower-kit_p0088131

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-18v-6-0ah-cordless-lawn-mower-kit_p0202376

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @otnimus,

A big difference would be the run time on the batteries supplied. The 36v version has a runtime of up to 65mins vs the 18v (if you add a secondary battery) of up to 40mins. I'd certainly recommend the 36v if you have a large lawn. If you mowing normally takes around 30mins I'd recommend the 18v so you can share batteries.

Mitchell

Sorry, you are right I posted wrong link which I have fixed.

So there is no difference in terms of cutting power or anything else, except for the running time? Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @otnimus,

I can't qualify if the 36v is any more powerful than the 18v as it depends on the motor and how the extra voltage is used. I am investigating this at the moment and will get back to you as soon as I have a concrete answer. The rest of the specs on the machines are very similar and can be viewed under the specifications section on the linked webpages.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @otnimus

I've managed to confirm that the 36V machine is substantially more powerful than the 18V machine. The 18V is perfect for maintaining a lawn on a regular basis. If you go on holiday for a few weeks in summer then it would be beneficial to have the 36V to get through the long grass on your return. It has more torque and copes better when mowing through thick grass.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

glenn3676
Finding My Feet

Are 36 Volt batteries interchangeable?

Hi

I have a self propelled Ryobi 36 Volt lawn mower using a 5 amp battery. I recently acquired a Ryobi not self propelled lawn mower also 36 Volt but came with a 2.6 amp battery. Why is it that when I put the 5 amp battery into this mower it will not start? When I put the 2.6 amp battery into that mower it works ok? I thought that all 36 Volt batteries are interchangable? It appears the above is not the case. Can someone explain this please. I got the smaller not propelled mower believing I could use the 36 V 5 amp batteries in it but they do not work Why? The non self propelled model is a 2014 Ryobi mower OLM36x40H 600W.

Hi @glenn3676,

As far as I'm aware, all 36V Ryobi products function with all Ryobi's 36V batteries. This is across the board. Unless you have stumbled across some abnormality, I can't see why you would be experiencing an issue.

Is the new battery fully charged? 

Looking forward to hearing more about your issue and understanding further.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell I'd love to know why the 36 volt 5 amp battery does not operate my other Ryobi model mower. I'm at a loss. I wanted to buy another battery 4 or 5 amp but now I'm not sure if it will work in the other mower so not sure what to buy. Yes the 

Battery is fully charged

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects