Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What Ryobi products and batteries are compatible?

otnimus
Finding My Feet

What Ryobi products and batteries are compatible?

I am planning to get a cordless Ryobi lawn mower: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-lithium-36v-5-0ah-18-brushless-lawn-mower-kit_p0088131

And I also need a drill and looking at this one: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-18v-one-drill-driver-skin-only_p0096074 which is a skin only. How do I know if I can use the mower's battery for this drill? And in general how do I tell which Ryobi products will share batteries? Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I know which Ryobi products can share battery pack

Hello @RobertG

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your Ryobi chain saw.

The Ryobi RCS36B35 chain saw came out in 2014 and came with a 36V 5 amp battery. As time moves forward updates on cordless tools are inevitable, some products are superseded and others stop production altogether. I understand that your chainsaw has given you years of reliable service, unfortunately, time has caught up with it. Ryobi has stopped the production of the 36V 5amp battery and the new battery system is no longer compatible with it.

Your chainsaw does not have to end up in the bin. There are other avenues to give your chainsaw a second life. You can sell it at the second-hand market, there are those chain saw owners who have damaged their saws, but still have viable batteries. You can donate it to the Man Shed or a similar charitable institution.    

The good news is that Ryobi has progressed from this chainsaw design issue with the 36V battery and has made it into an open-type system as well. You can see a very good example of this on the Ryobi 36V 35cm Brushless Cordless Chainsaw - Skin Only

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I know which Ryobi products can share battery pack

Hi @RobertG,

There are some options available to us to resolve this issue for you. I'll reach out via private message to get some details from you.

Mitchell

Moggy
Getting Established

Compatibility of 36V batteries with Ryobi lawnmowers

Is the 36V 4.0AH battery (R36BTY42 I/N: 0405412) compatible with the 36V HP Brushless 46cm law mower 6.0AH (R36XLMW16 I/N: 0344062) or do I need to buy the 6.0Ah HP Battery (which is the battery supplied with the lawn mower kit)? Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Compatibility of 36V batteries with Ryobi lawnmowers

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Moggy. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on battery compatibility.

I've double-checked with the Ryobi technical team, who advised that those products are compatible. You don't need to run the 6.0Ah battery.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hi 

Looking at purchasing a new 36v 6ah battery. Will it charge in my existing 36v 5ah charger? The original 5ah battery and charger came with my lawn mower. 

Thanks

Paul

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @pdiddy 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us.

Due to the variety of Ryobi batteries both past and present, would it be possible for you to post a photo of your old battery from the side, front and bottom? Can you also please post a photo of your lawn mower, charger and the information tag as well. I need to be able to present this information to Ryobi so that they can give me a definite answer regarding compatibility.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

Hi @EricL 

Thanks for your reply and offer of assistance.

I have a variety of 36v tools I'll post some photos when I get the chance if this helps 

Photos attached.

Thanks Paul 

PXL_20230301_233506833.jpg

PXL_20230301_233433013.jpg

PXL_20230301_233440792.jpg

PXL_20230301_233448354.jpg

PXL_20230301_233514840.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @pdiddy 

Thank you very much for the photos of your battery and charger. I've sent an enquiry to Ryobi and will be waiting for a reply. As soon as I get more information, I'll let you know.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pdiddy 

I've just been in contact with the Ryobi technical team. The good news is that the 36V 6Ah battery can be charged on your old charger. However, before you purchase your battery, I recommend bringing your old lawn mower to the store so that you can test fit the new battery. This is just to make sure they are compatible. Ryobi has informed me that only the RLM36X50HP model is not compatible with the new 36V battery.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

@EricL 

Hi Eric! Apologies for the very late reply. Thanks very much for confirming. Battery fits and works great. Big difference between 5ah and 6ah. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects