Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What Ryobi products and batteries are compatible?

otnimus
Finding My Feet

What Ryobi products and batteries are compatible?

I am planning to get a cordless Ryobi lawn mower: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-lithium-36v-5-0ah-18-brushless-lawn-mower-kit_p0088131

And I also need a drill and looking at this one: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-18v-one-drill-driver-skin-only_p0096074 which is a skin only. How do I know if I can use the mower's battery for this drill? And in general how do I tell which Ryobi products will share batteries? Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: riobi 36v battery replacement

Hello @Craigr1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the Ryobi battery replacement.

Depending on the model you have, yes, there are different types. Some will have a power output of 2 amps others 4 amps. Some will only work with the One+ systems. Others will only work with certain models.

Somewhere on your battery is a tag, on that tag will be the model number and power output of the battery. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the battery and tag? We'll then be able to find out if you can still purchase a similar or compatible type of battery. 

If you need assistance posting the picture, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JakeSibs
Just Starting Out

Can a Ryobi 36v 4Ah battery work in equipment that came with a 5Ah battery?

I am looking at buying a line trimmer that comes with a 36v 4Ah battery Ryobi 36V 4.0Ah Brushless Line Trimmer Kit - Bunnings Australia . I have a mower skin that originally came with a 5Ah battery and want to know if the 4Ah battery will work/fit in the mower. Mower and original battery pics below..

275735174_2817239171910654_6458240089841186834_n.jpg275788716_730187568389539_6570280401857518294_n.jpg276077723_4839591816160128_2113787798771565835_n.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can a Ryobi 36v 4Ah battery work in equipment that came with a 5Ah battery

Hi @JakeSibs

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about Ryobi batteries.

If the Ryobi mower uses a 36V battery pack your 4Ah battery will work with it. The difference between batteries is is just 1Ah, I doubt if you'll notice the difference in power delivery. Let me investigate a bit further so that you'll know what to expect when using a 4Ah battery.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Re: How do I know which Ryobi products can share battery pack

Hi, I can confirm that statement is incorrect. I have a Ryobi 36v mower. I recently bought a 6AH battery to use and it will not fit, despite being told it would. The plastic cover on my mower is fixed at all 4 corners and is simply too low for the added height of the 6AH battery. 

just in case anyone else decides to embark down this path, the 5ah battery is the largest for the first 36v mower Ryobi created and sold.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rudolph01

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Thanks for sharing that information about the Ryobi 36V 6ah battery. It's always good practice to bring your old battery with you to the store to make sure that it has exactly the same battery fittings and same dimensions as your old one. Especially if you have a Ryobi mower that is not included in the Ryobi One + system. 

Again, thank you so much for sharing that knowledge.

Eric

Hi Eric, the mower is a Ryobi RLM36. It’s a 36v, not a One+ (The model has nothing after 36, it is the very first 36v I believe)
the battery fitment for contacts etc are identical. The only way to tell if the battery would have fitted was to do what I did, or to take the mower in.

as a side request. I see when registering my new equipment on the site, there are 9Ah and 12Ah batteries. But I have never seen these for sale. Are they new? Do they exist?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rudolph01

You're absolutely correct, those first generations of 36v Ryobi mowers were before the advent of the One Plus + system, however, they were very well designed even as a first attempt for Ryobi. But to answer your question yes, the 9ah and 12ah batteries do exist and are available as special order products.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

We are finding that the 36V 6amp battery runs out of power before we finish the job so we need a back up battery.

will the ryobi 36V 2 amp battery drive the 36V mower?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @grahamc. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Ryobi battery compatibility.

One of the things that Ryobi does exceptionally well is battery compatibility. Any 36V Ryobi battery will work in any 36V Ryobi tool. So, there's no issue with running a 2.0 amp battery in your mower. However, you'll get a reasonably limited runtime, but hopefully enough to finish off your lawn.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hello

i’m not sure that compatibility is always their strong point, to be honest.  I have a collection of Ryobi 36V brushless tools, bought exactly for the reason of battery interchangeability.   They have worked well for several years with the original 5Ah battery that came with the mower.   
The battery has now died on me and Bunnings tell me that Ryobi now only supply 4Ah or 6Ah batteries.  They didn’t seem an issue, so I paid my $260 for the 4Ah one, only to find that some silly designer has changed the rounded shape of the plastic case in favour of a more angular one, and it doesn’t fit into the enclosed battery compartment on my chainsaw (an RCS36B35)!!  It seems to fit the other tools, which have open battery mounts.

H

E600EB72-ED97-4D08-88EF-DDA44FCAA789.jpeg

C74B8713-3C9A-47CC-A4F4-33B9ACFC906F.jpeg

BAC5FFD0-2CDE-434D-9E21-05A75E119F34.jpeg

D620CB51-78DE-49E8-B0D5-17306DC80103.jpeg

ow do you suggest that I repower my currently unusable chainsaw?  It would be ludicrous and very eco-unfriendly to throw it out for want of a compatible battery!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects