Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What do these markings on Pine mean?

CoolYota
Getting Established

What do these markings on Pine mean?

Hello, I am trying to understand the text on the pine wood I bought from local bunnings. Is this suitable for outdoor use? What does AS/NZS 1740 means? My Google-Fu has failed me...

IMG_8538.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What do these markings on Pine mean?

Hi @CoolYota 

This is a really great question, one I am sure many Bunnings customers have previously thought as well. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon but let me tag a couple of our great Bunnings team members @twocutekelpies and @hazesnow to check if they may have the answers. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
twocutekelpies
Making a Splash

Hi @CoolYota 

According to https://qtimber.daf.qld.gov.au/guides/strength-groups-and-stress-grades F5 can be used in place of MGP10 so is structural grade timber, it's hard to tell from the photo if it's treated or not, to me it looks clear ie not treated. Outside use should be H3 (above ground outside) or H4 (in ground outside), does it mention either on your receipt? 
AS/NZS1748 = Timber - Solid - Stress-graded for structural purposes

Instagram @twocutekelpies

Hello @CoolYota

It's fantastic that you've received excellent advice from @twocutekelpies. Just to add to the information they've mentioned, F5 comes in both treated and untreated versions. I suggest checking your docket to see which one you've purchased. The letter F stands for the grade or measure of the bending strength of a piece of timber. The number five is its rated level of strength. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

CoolYota
Getting Established

Hello EricL,

On the receipt it says Pine Shorts KD UT, 70x35mm 1.1m framesmart. I suppose KD means Kiln-Dried? 

IMG_8749.jpg

IMG_8748.jpg

Thanks for posting your receipt details @CoolYota, I believe KD UT is Kiln Dried UnTreated. To use this outside, you would need to apply a treatment (Bunnings sells a variety of wood preservatives) and maintain it to make it last out in the elements. It's a nice, sturdy looking timber and would make a great frame for a workbench in a shed etc. 

Instagram @twocutekelpies

Hello @CoolYota

That is spot-on decoding from @twocutekelpies. The letters UT translates to untreated which means that this piece of timber is for interior use only. Would it be possible for you to tell us what you are using it for? If you are using it for exterior use as a form of support it will need to be painted to protect it from the elements. But if you have not drilled or cut into it, I suggest bringing it in and exchanging it for H3-treated framing timber. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects