Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What foundation to use for Keter High Store shed?

npj
Getting Established

What foundation to use for Keter High Store shed?

Hi,

I'm considering getting a Keter High Store but wanted some advice how to prepare the place it's going to be installed...

I want to put it in the backyard, against the house, in an area that's dead flat, it's completely undercover, but is currently just soil (about 50mm then it's hard clay). This area can get a little damp in Winter but most of the year it's dry. Might get a little rain blowing into the area with a big storm.

Most people seem to install these sheds onto concrete slab / tiled area... Which I'd like to avoid... Seems like overkill for my situation...

I was thinking of surrounding the shed with pebbles using these pavers ( https://www.bunnings.com.au/strol-0-5m-pebblelock-permeable-pavers_p0215399 ) .... I could also put the pebbles underneath the shed to increase drainage etc... Apparently the shed floor is quite strong... or should I just put the shed onto the compacted soil and put the pebbles around it?

Thanks,

Nick.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What foundation to use for Keter High Store shed?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @npj. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a shed base.

The manufacturer states: It is strongly recommended to secure the shed to an immovable object or anchor to the ground by drilling holes in the shed floor (at the pre-marked locations) and inserting proper screws into the ground. So, at a minimum, they are recommending that the shed be fixed down. If it's not, any gust of wind potentially has the power to blow this relatively lightweight structure away. Could you compromise and use actual concrete pavers under the shed section that the structure could be fixed to and save the pebbles for around the outside perimeter?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
npj
Getting Established

Thanks for the info. Hadn't come across that.

I just realised that the High Store Plus includes a stronger floor... "Heavy duty floor included – no need for a slab" ... Also adds shelves...

The Bunnings version of the product is just called High Store... Seems like the Plus would be better for me... but it seems like Bunnings don't sell it?

I'll email Keter and get their advice...

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good afternoon @npj 

Firstly welcome to the Bunnings community :smile: We definently will have a bunch of ideas for you, I always think the more we look at something the more we get to modify what we first thought.

Interesting question I must admit. Having clay so close to your surface I would use as an advange ofr paving it, Using a shove scrape that 50mm of soil away back to bare clay, put some pavers down (I keep an eye out on buy sell, giveaway sites) directly on the clay. I have done that for various paths over the years and they are still going strong.

I also like the idea of those pebbles and that mat (I usually run screaming from pebbles after having to dig ones out of gardens for what seems like forever) But can imagine how they would look aroind and even under the shed. 

The only thing I could rally offer to help you decide on what you want is to imagine what you will be storing in the shed potentially in a few years time. Anything heavy and I will gaurentee you will want a solid base, even a lawnmower is easier to shift around on something solid rather then dirt.

Cant wait to see some pics on how you go forward even if its just dirt :smile: 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @npj 

I've just been in contact with the Keter technical team, and they informed me that the Keter 1.4 x 0.73 x 1.7m Plastic High Store Shed also comes with the heavy floor the same as the High Store Plus. But if you are keen to get the +Plus model it can be ordered at the special orders desk of your local store. I recommend visiting your local store and getting a quote from the special orders team and asking for an estimate as to when the shed will arrive at the store.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
npj
Getting Established

Hi @EricL 

Thanks very much for the info Eric. Sounds like the Plus version just adds the shelves, which I'd like to have. I'll get a quote from my local Bunnings.

Hi @Dave0 

Thanks for the ideas... Only problem with some pavers going directly down onto the clay is that it's not dead flat... If placed on the bare clay it would lean forwards... The front clay level is 25-50mm lower than the back... I'd need to lift the front pavers up a bit... I could either leave a small layer of soil to 'correct' this... Or use maybe use some kind of packer to chock up the front pavers...

Good point re weight... Noted.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @npj 

Id just go for a level between the two, use a shovel blade at a low angle and "scrape" horizontaly at the soil/clay use the bit that you scrape off to raise the lower side. 

04 11-06-2022.jpg07 11-06-2022.jpg

You can see the soil slopes here, I just shaved the high side and used it low side and then tamped it (You could use the end of a timber post to pack it down really or just smack down a paver a few times. )

That way you have an overall reduction of 25mmm but it will be level.

Dave

npj
Getting Established

Cheers for the photos @Dave-1,

That would be the best yeah... To actually make it level to start with... but a bit more effort... I'll do a test dig and see how hard it is to dig out the clay... I need to dig out the soil and actually check the incline too... Haven't actually measured that yet...

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@npj 

"Shave" the clay, dont dig it. It is far easier and less work overall if you just scalp the grass and then "shave" the clay. Believe me when I say Ive dug clay and its a pain.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects