Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What timber for a workbench benchtop?

RTDavis
New Contributor

What timber for a workbench benchtop?

I am looking for suitable timber to add as workshop bench top. The top will be screwed onto an existing cupboard. I require a piece of timber 2185 x 500/600 wide x 20 (or so) thickness. Has anyone got some suggestions?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Work Bench bench top

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RTDavis. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about workbench tops.

If you are happy with a softwood top, the ECOply 2400 x 1200 x 19mm CD Structural Plywood would be functional and close to your required thickness. If you could drop the thickness down to 17mm, you could go with Carter Holt Harvey FORMrite 2400 x 1200mm 17mm F14 Formply. The benefit would be you'll get a quite hard finish on the formply compared to the plywood. 

If you wanted a hardwood top, the Selex 2200x600x26mm Beech Laminated Worktop Panel and 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel could be options. 

Let me mention some members that have built their own workbenches @r23on, @JoeAzza, @tom_builds, @Razzer, @Baggs, @WoodenGregsWood, @Tara86 and @Nikki7 to see if they have some recommendations.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects