Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which jigsaw should I get?

Shagen
Building a Reputation

Which jigsaw should I get?

I am hoping to get some tips on which jigsaw i should get. I am a novice and just started out doing little projects. While I was looking for a jigsaw to purchase, I came across 2 Ozito Jigsaws. One is a Cordless Compact Jigsaw and the other just says an 18V Jigsaw. I took a look at the specifications and they are very similar other than the size.

What is the difference between the two? 

Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which jigsaw should I get?

Hi @Shagen,

I'll outline below the differences in the two machines, as you have noted they are very similar.

Ozito PXC 18v Cordless Compact Jigsaw Skin Only Model Number PXCJS-018 - More compact design, 2700 strokes per minute, 20mm stroke depth and weight 1.64kg

Ozito PXC 18v Jigsaw Skin Only Model Number PXJSS-600 - LED work light, 2400 strokes per minute, 25.4mm stroke depth and weight 1.85kg

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shagen
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc,

Am I correct in saying 2700 strokes a minute is faster and the faster the strokes the faster it can potentially cut? But what does stroke depth mean or meant to do? The weight I am not too concerned with as its not that much of a difference.

Shagen

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Shagen,

You are correct in saying the more strokes per minute the faster a jigsaw can cut but there are other factors that contribute as well. The stroke length is the distance the jigsaw's blade travels up and down. The longer the stroke length of a jigsaw, the faster it is able to cut. This is because more teeth come in contact with the workpiece per stroke.

As you can see with the specs, although one unit has 300 fewer strokes per minute it also has a slightly longer stroke depth. You might find this equates to both units cutting at a similar speed. I'm sorry this doesn't assist you in making a decision but I wanted to explain how it works.

From what I can see they are comparably almost the same machine, personally I would go for the Ozito PXC 18v Cordless Compact Jigsaw Skin Only with higher strokes per minute and lighter weight.

Mitchell

I really think the original poster wanted to know the pro's and con's between the two,

not simple techinical differences.

I have the same question, but your informative failed to help.

Sorry...no malice intended.

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Higher speed potentially faster cut but depending on what you are cutting and blade type not necessarily an advantage. Stroke length determines how thick the material is you can cut. The one with the 25mm stroke will cut material 5mm thicker than the other one. J D E

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @GerardC,

We would be happy to help. Great to see that you've already got some helpful information from the very experienced member @JDE.

Could you please tell us what sort of projects you are wanting to tackle? That would help members provide more specific advice and recommendations. It would also be helpful to know if you have any other cordless tools already as batteries are a significant part of the investment. And do you have a budget? 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have a project to share.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @GerardC

Thank you for joining the discussion and sharing your question about which jigsaw to get. 

Let me present the products to you in another manner. The Ozito Cordless System uses a system called Power Xchange. When you buy an Ozito tool with this system, it allows you to use all the Ozito Cordless tools with one battery. It's very convenient, versatile, and frees you from having to attach to a very long extension cord. If you purchase the Ozito PXC 18V 2.0Ah And 4.0Ah Lithium-Ion Battery And Charger Pack this allows you to finish a large number of D.I.Y. projects. It also allows you to build your tool chest without having to purchase a battery pack for each tool. 

However, some Ozito products come out with their own battery and charger like the Ozito PXC 18V Drill Driver Kit. These packages save you money by selling them as a set rather than buying the battery and charger separately. It is a smart first purchase if this is your first tool. It now allows you to consider the other Ozito Tools and purchasing them as "skin-only" with no battery or charger included. As long as it has the Ozito Power Xchange logo on it, rest assured the Ozito battery will work with that tool.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects