Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which planer should I buy for planing pallets?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Which planer should I buy for planing pallets?

I'm thinking about planing down the pallet boards.  I haven't the skill to use a manual planer so electric is the obvious choice.  Once I have some more experience and time I want to make some furniture , so I'd like to get something reliable.  With a cord.  😉

All answers welcome!  😁

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Which planer should I buy for planing pallets?

Hi @Tyro,

Let me kick off this discussion by tagging some experienced pallet project creators in the community to see what tools they utilise when working with pallets.

@LePallet@Yorky88@lcantem@nolifemanual@Tara86@Arcc@Imenz@prettyliving 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tyro,

You can get quite a reasonable finish on pallet timber by simply sanding it with an orbital or belt sander. The orbital sander is perfect for leaving some of the rustic charm, or the belt sander can be used for stripping the timber back completely. I've made many projects from pallet timber, most often working with the rustic styling, and I've never used an electric planer. When I use pallet timber, it's typically because it has such a unique character, and I want to preserve it in the final piece. There is a reasonable piece of advice going around that if you're going to mill pallet timber with an electric planer, it's likely easier to just use dressed timber in the first place. There are only a couple of benefits to using pallet timber in a project: its rustic nature and that it's free. It's a fair amount of work to remove all those nails and plane it smooth just to get free timber.

Just so you are aware, I've actually found it harder to use an electric planner than a manual planer. Obviously, a manual planner is more work, but it is easier to control. Other opinions might vary.

For a recommendation on a planer that is reliable and has a cord, I'd go with the Ryobi 780W 82mm Rebate Planer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Thanks for those tags @Jason .  The Bunnings workshop is a goldmine!  I'll look forward to reading their advice!

Cheers 🤗

Thank you for your wise advice @MitchellMc   I definitely want to show off the woodgrain but don't trust myself to get an even finish with a manual planer.  In your experience does it take long to achieve that abilty?  Until I do I'll give the orbital sander a workout (I was so focused on planing them I had totally overlooked sanding as an option! 🙄)

Thank you for including the options!  I've added the ryobi to my project list! 😁

Cheers 👍🏻

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hand planers are somewhat self-levelling @Tyro. They only shave off a very thin amount at a time and are quite easy to get the hang of. As you smooth the area, it will get flatter, and no great skill is involved. Electric planers can be a bit more unforgiving. I'll admit that I've only used one a handful of times, but I found that it was far easier to make a mistake and take off too much material. I suspect if you set it to the least aggressive setting, it would be manageable; perhaps I just had the cut set too deep.

Mitchell

Thanks again @MitchellMc for your guidance.  That manual planer idea seems to have taken hold!  I really like the idea of learning how to do the screwless joints like mortise & tenon, dovetail and rabbet. Have you any suggestions on which plane would be the most reliable and versatile?  I plan to practise on the pallet timber! 😁

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd suggest a mid-range plane for use on pallets like the Trojan 235mm Bench Plane @Tyro. You need to be very careful as there are plenty of nails in pallets. Hitting one will do some real damage to the blade. If you are not familiar with how to re-profile and sharpen the edge of a plane blade after a chip has been taken out of it, that could be the end of the plane for you. This goes for powered planes too, but they do have replaceable blades. That's part of the reason why I use sanders, I'm too lazy to thoroughly check for nails and sometimes they're hidden. 

Another very nice option would be the Stanley 245mm No. 4 Smoothing Bench Plane.

Mitchell

Again, thank you for your picks @MitchellMc.  Both fit the within the budget master's limitations too, especially the Trojan! 😉 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects