Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why cant i smash the asbestos shed down back to its shell and stockpile bits for approved disposal?

Kreezy
Getting Established

Why cant i smash the asbestos shed down back to its shell and stockpile bits for approved disposal?

IMG20240327103919.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: why cant i smash the asbestos shed down back to its shell and stockpile bits for approved dis...

Hi @Kreezy,

First, the amount of asbestos in those sheets exceeds the legal limit for D.I.Y. removal by homeowners, so you are not permitted to remove it yourself. Removing more than 10m² of non-friable asbestos or any amount of friable asbestos requires a licensed asbestos removalist.

Furthermore, breaking or smashing asbestos is extremely dangerous. Non-friable asbestos, in its intact state, poses minimal risk. However, once it is broken, it releases breathable fibres into the air, which can contaminate both you and the surrounding soil. If the soil becomes contaminated, you may need to pay for soil remediation, which can be extraordinarily expensive, potentially costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Additionally, exposing yourself to asbestos is a serious health hazard.

I strongly recommend hiring a professional to remove the shed. While the cost may seem high, it is significantly less than the potential expense of soil remediation, and the risk to your health is not worth it. For further information and guidance on safe practices, you can access resources from the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: why cant i smash the asbestos shed down back to its shell and stockpile bits for approved dispos

Afternoon @Kreezy 

My brain just screamed, Having worked in and around abestos products and we have always treated them with caution. Its the fibres you cant see that will get you is the easiest way to describe why you dont want to "smash" or break apart any bonded abestos. Strongly recomend you get someone who is trained in the removal and has the right qualifications and knowledge on how to.

How to safely remove asbestos Is the NSW Goverments page. Worth a read through.

Having stockpiled sheets left in the yard is asking for trouble and also high potetental risk to others.

Dave

Kreezy
Getting Established

Re: why cant i smash the asbestos shed down back to its shell and stockpile bits for approved dispos

Yes I will suit up and assist my brother who is Oz and NZ certified to remove asbestos, Sorry to hurt your head Dave. Trouble is I'm impatient and want to do it sooner than later. Thank you for your input.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Kreezy 

:smile: I know that impatient feeling well, I have some sheets of steel mesh waiting for me to build a gabion wall on the weekend! I want to start NOW and keep telling myself its dark by the time I get home....

There are a lot of sad outcomes for working in and around asbestos 😕 That is always my main concern that we come home safe at the end of the day. No point in rushing into something when a few weeks wait will give you the same outcome without the concern.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects