Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

how to open locked patio door

AaronReed
Just Starting Out

how to open locked patio door

Hi there community!

I setup a Whitco lock in my patio door a few years ago. I recently discovered that it's completely jammed and I'm no longer able to open the door. I've tried removing the outer covers but haven't been able to open the door. Ant suggestions?

Thanks,

Aaron

1671773841080675158968326925281.jpg

16717738738753261177586072505522.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to open locked patio door

Hello @AaronReed

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your patio door.

In order to open the patio door you'll need to remove the cylinder lock. If the unit is jammed, I suggest spraying some WD40 inside to see if it will loosen up the mechanism. This is on the condition that you still have the key for the lock. If you don't have the key anymore I'm afraid the cylinder must be mechanically removed. I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to remove a flyscreen lock without a key? by @yng7

Inside the cylinder lock is a lever that flips the locking mechanism inside your door, once this is switched into the unlocked position you should be able to open your door.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @EricL . I'll give this a shot and let you know.

Keep us updated, @AaronReed and please reach out again if you continue to have issues.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects