Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

shelf bracket installation

lindasjohn
Growing in Experience

shelf bracket installation

Hi. I want to put up carniya sz25 brackets from bunnings in garage for some shelving space. Its going aganist what i think is cement brick, although not sure. I need help to figure out what type of screw or anchor to use.

Thanks

John

IMG20200817151326.jpg

IMG20200817151337.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: shelf bracket installation

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community @lindasjohn. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Since the Carinya 400 x 250 x 25mm Zinc Heavy Duty Twisted Stayed Bracket is a large bracket I presume you will be putting some significant weight on it. In that case, I would advise using Dynabolts. Alternatively, you could use Tapcon screws which might be a more user-friendly option.

Here's a helpful step-by-step D.I.Y instructional video on How to install masonry fixings which I trust you'll find helpful in the process.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @MitchellMc 

@lindasjohn,

It's my pleasure. Make sure you post some update images of your project, as I trust there will be members which would appreciate seeing your results.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc  Would both be equally strong or one better than another

Hi @lindasjohn,

It would be my preference to use Dynabolts. For added strength, you can squeeze some Ramset 750ml Chemset 101 Masonry Anchoring Adhesive into the holes prior to using either of the fixings. The Chemset glues the fixture into the wall which complements the mechanical grip of the anchors. It's a great safety measure in case there is any crumbling of the block.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc  hi. What i thought was brick is actually bessner block. How can i put up the shelf brackets.

Hi @lindasjohn,

I could see they were Besser blocks and advised as such. You might have the most success by drilling your holes in the mortar lines or if the location doesn't allow straight into the brick is also fine.

Please let us know how you go.

Mitchell

Hi

Just to confirm. I have to use the dyna bolts and the glue you specified earlier. Right?

Thanks

John

Hi John,

The Dynabolts by themselves should be sufficient. If you would like an additional measure to ensure there are no issues you can use the glue also. The glue is not a necessity.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects