Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advice on timber size for chicken quarantine pen

pepsp
Having an Impact

Advice on timber size for chicken quarantine pen

Hi workshoppers! I'm looking for some advice on recommended timber size and design for a run for quarantining new or sick chickens. Does it need to be as heavy as 45x90 or can I go a bit lighter?

Thanks in advance for your help!

@redracer01  @MitchellM 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Advice on timber size for chicken quarantine pen

Thanks for creating this discussion @pepsp. Let me tag @mich1972, @Caron and @darylhewston to kick off this discussion.

@MitchellMc is on a well-earned break at the moment, but he did share product suggestions for making a budget-friendly chicken run in this discussion: 'Fencing' for Chickens. Our other resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to help as soon as possible.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @pepsp

I recommend using 40 x 18mm 2.4m Moulding H3 Treated Pine DAR. This should be strong enough to build your frame and keep your chickens in place. I suggest using Zenith 10G x 35mm Galvanised Type 17 Wafer Head Timber Screws - 50 Pack. I recommend using 2440 x 1220mm 12mm Plywood Pine CC Grade for the roosting box. I suggest drilling pilot holes to prevent splitting the timber. If you have any leftover paint I encourage you to paint the panels and the frame to extend the life of your chicken run. I've drawn a diagram below, please have a look and tell me what you think. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Caron
Making a Splash

Great advice by @EricL.  I would also recommend ensuring that the bottom has wire as well so that the cage is completely snake/vermin/predator proofed. I would also suggest using aviary wire such as:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-90cm-x-5m-x-12mm-x-12mm-aviary-mesh_p3069974; or

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-90cm-x-5m-x-6-5mm-x-6-5mm-mouse-mesh_p3040081

I was advised by a snake catcher who is a regular at my house - that if your finger can fit through a gap, so can a snake, the smaller the wire the better.  If your chicken is sick,  you want to make sure they are secure and protected.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects