Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Alternative to bird netting!

DIYgals
Becoming a Leader

Alternative to bird netting!

For all those people who dread trying to net their fruit trees every year!

We have been using these little fruit bags to individually protect our fruit from birds and other pests. They are heaps easier to put on and take off than traditional netting. They are also bird friendly and can be re-used each year.

They look like little pressies in your tree! 

IMG_2140.jpgIMG_2141.jpg

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Alternative to bird netting!

What a great idea @DIYgals. Do you have any tips or hints for community members that might want to try this method of protecting their fruit?

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
DIYgals
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @JaneK , It's as easy as popping it over your fruit and pulling the little string so they stay on. Simple as!

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@DIYgals 

I still use netting and it is time consuming but do you still get birds trying to peck through the netting?

Cheers,

Barbara

Hi @Baretta11 ,

We have found that the birds haven't attempted to peck through the bags at all. We didn't net all of our fruit so they could still have a peck at the fruit we had left for them in unreachable spots. If you're happy to sacrifice a little bit of fruit we have found the bags much easier than netting an entire tree.

@DIYgals 

I've attached a pic of what we do each year but as mentioned previously, time consuming.

We don't allow the trees to grow beyond arms reach but I like your idea of doing some of the trees with the little nets, especially the trees hat don't have allot of fruit like our pear for example. Not sure if I could do it on the apples though as there are 100's even after thinning out.

Can you tell me where you get the nets from?

Fruit trees.JPGView from Lounge.JPG

Very impressive orchard @Baretta11 ! I am very jealous! I have sent you a private message with a link to the bags we use. :smile:

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @DIYgals . Love these. I work at Bunnings and we also sell these larger bird sleeves that cover over larger groups of fruit. Also very handy if you have fruit fly in the area as they keep them out. Diamond Econetting 32 x 48cm White Netting Sleeve - 2 Pack (bunnings.com.au)

I would also add one other note of caution - if others are using traditional bird net to cover trees - ensure you get the bird net with smaller opening which don't allow birds to get stuck in the net. 

Perfect @robchin these would make it even easier!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects