Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any suggestions for hanging plants and climbers?

Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

Any suggestions for hanging plants and climbers?

Plants are not my strongest genius😵💫 I am renovating an Airbnb that is in the forest. So no sun because of tall trees and no one lining there to give continuous love to plants. The property is like a tree house and I love buildings covered with plants. I want some hanging plants raining down the front deck and some plants climbing up the poles. Don't have a big budget. Which plants do you suggest?

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Re: Which plant?

Hi, I’m not that familiar with certain plants but have learned a lot from what not to do and from what I like. If you have the means for climbing plants how about some Mandevilla Red climbers. Or my favourite Jasmine. I found Jasmine to be a fast growing plant whereas the Mandevilla a bit slower. I once saw a spectacular red all planted close together and what a sight. 

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Cocoplum 

Where abouts are you located? That will help with recommendations. Also - how big for the pots for the hanging baskets and how much sun? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Any suggestions for hanging plants and climbers?

Hello @Cocoplum 

While we are waiting for the details of your location, I suggest having a look at these guides - How to choose plants for hanging baskets by @Noelle and How to create a hanging basket by @Adam_W. I believe that one of the most important factors for your hanging plants is the amount of sunlight shining through in your proposed location. If it is too shaded the number of plants you'll be able to choose from might be limited.

I also recommend reading this discussion - How to create a colourful hanging basket by @mich1972. This is a fantastic example of having hanging baskets that you can relocate so that they get ample sunlight during the day.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

@robchin great questions! yes, you are right, some plants will look ridiculous in the forest :smile: Property is at central coast and pots will be small. the long ones at Bunnings 

Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL , property is at central coast and pots are small and long. I do not want flowers, native plants would look best in my opinion. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Cocoplum,

I agree with @brendawebster44, Star jasmine grows great in dark spaces and also full sun so you can't go wrong wherever you plant it. The advantage is that it flowers in spring and summer and when there aren't flowers, the leaves are glossy and beautiful. However, the more sun it can get the more flowers it will produce. This climber can grow up to 6 meters and on average grows 30-90cm per year! 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Thanks for that additional info @Cocoplum - so accounting for the reduced sun - consider some Natives like Pandorea (Wonga Vines or Bower of Beauty) or Snake Vines (Hibertia scandens) - These will all be pretty vigorous so will need big planters or be repotted regularly.Hardenbergia (Happy Wanderer) and Native Jasmine (Jasminum simplicifolium subsp. suavissimum) and Apple Berry (Billardiera scandens) not as rampant. Also consider Native or exotic clematis. 

Good luck. 

@brendawebster44 thank you. Will check them🥰

Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

@Katie would it harm a wood building? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects