Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Anyone growing anthuriums in Brisbane?

rajenzed
Getting Established

Anyone growing anthuriums in Brisbane?

Anyone successfully growing anthuriums in the ground in the Brisbane area? I’m 12 kms from the coast.

thanks in advance 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Anthuriums in Brisbane

Hi @rajenzed,

Have you been trying to grow them without success, or are you contemplating the idea? I'll presume you haven't tried yet. To start, you'll need a spot out of direct sunlight in medium shade that is sheltered from the wind and has well-draining soil. This spot will need to be shaded throughout the year, so bear in mind that what's shaded now might not be in the Summer months. They can not tolerate direct sunlight as they are rainforest plants. Once you've dug some oversized holes for the plants, you must add a good quality potting mix, like Yates 2.5L Plants And Ferns Specialty Potting Mix, before planting the Anthuriums. Another option is to mound up this mix on your soil so they are planted above it. Anthuriums do not tolerate soggy roots well at all. They enjoy a good watering, but you must let the soil start to dry out before watering again, which is difficult in a shaded area as the soil tends to stay moist.

Keeping the plants warm enough outside also poses a barrier. They struggle to survive if you consistently see temperatures below 15 degrees Celsius. They also can not tolerate frost at all. Many growers opt for growing in pots outside so the plants can be bought inside when temperatures dip. Perhaps you could compromise and plant in pots but add a screening in front of them so they appear planted in the ground.

Here's a handy guide on How to grow and care for Anthuriums.

Let me mention one of our horticultural experts @Noelle, to see if she has any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @rajenzed 

I completely agree with all the advice @MitchellMc has given you in his reply. His idea of growing in pots counter-sunk into the soil, so they can be moved indoors or under cover over the cooler months when night time temperatures may be too low, is a good one.

I would also recommend you have a look at How to Grow and Care For Anthurium in the Bunnings DIY articles.

rajenzed
Getting Established

Re: Anyone growing anthuriums in Brisbane?

Thank you.

Thank you.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects