Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Apple tree leaves yellowing

Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

Apple tree leaves yellowing

My apple tree is growing with a lot of fruits.

In the last two days I have noticed some yellowing of leaves.

Is this an indication of disease?

Please advise.

photos attached for more details.Apple treeApple treeApple tree 2Apple tree 2Apple tree 3Apple tree 3

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: apple tree leaves yellowing

Hi @Ngnra,

I'd fairly confidently diagnose the tree with Alternaria leaf blotch. You've picked up on the yellowing of the leaves, but the brown areas on all your leaves are the early signs of it. The brown spots on yellow leaves with blotchy green through them are pretty distinctive signs of the disease. Let me mention one of our gardening experts, @Noelle, to see if she has some thoughts or suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Ngnra 

I agree with @MitchellMc .If you need further verification, then refer to:  https://plantnet.com.au/plant-care/pests-and-diseases/

Remove all dead and diseased material from the tree and also from the ground beneath the affected tree, and bag ity.  Tie of the bag and place in the household rubbish bin. Fungal diseases are easily spread by leaving infected material on the soil.  Do not add clippings to your compost and make sure you sterilise your tools by dipping in methylated spirits between each cut to prevent disease transfer.

Spray affected trees with a copper based fungicide.

Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

Thank you Noelle for your advice. I have sprayed copper a few days ago. It appears I have to keep doing this a couple of weeks until April when I usually harvest the fruits completely.

robchin
Becoming a Leader

hi @Ngnra 

Good luck with your Apple. Great advice from Noelle here. Just a note of caution. Rotate your fungicides after every couple of applications to prevent potential resistance and check the label in relation to spraying the trees when there is fruit on the tree. There is likely to be a withholding period that you need to consider.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects