Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Attaching screens to Colorbond fence

eemrun
Growing in Experience

Attaching screens to Colorbond fence

Completed projectCompleted projectNewbie here. Have a colorbond fence but want to install one of the screens (Tuscan Path 1800x900mm rust geometric screen panel)

a bit elevated off the ground so it covers the top a bit more than the fence(fence is also 1800mm). I however have an easement in front of the fence so cant do anything permanent. Is there a way to attach the screens to the fence?

19F44F94-A29B-42E2-ACB3-FAECEEA6C70A.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach screens to Colorbond fence?

Hello @eemrun

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about how to attach the Tuscan Path screen panel to your Colourbond fence.

Using the Tuscan Path 1800 x 900mm Rust Geometric Screen Panel is a fantastic and convenient way of adding a design feature to your fence. I recommend using the Porta 40 x 18mm 2.4m Treated Pine DAR to join the panels together. I suggest mounting the timber first to the Colourbond post then screwing the panels onto the timber battens. It sounds like a great project, any updates you can provide while building it would be much appreciated.

Here is a link to one of our featured projects: Feature wall fence with Matrix screen panels by @diy_hausdesigns

Let me tag our experienced members @ProjectPete and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
eemrun
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the suggestions! That was really helpful. Sharing below what we did. 

9E540633-9973-4E5D-9ECD-D97977AB2399.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks fantastic, @eemrun! I love your styling choice and the accessories you've used alongside the Tuscan Path 1800 x 900mm Rust Geometric Screen Panel. The water feature is a lovely touch too. I think you've done exceptionally well utilising a space that has an easement on it.

Many thanks for sharing your update, and well done.

Mitchell

Dazzag
Getting Established

What screws would I need to attach timber to fence 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Dazzag

Thank you for sharing your question about what screws to use to attach timber to your Colorbond fence. I recommend using Zenith 10G x 40mm Galvanised Self Embedding Head Metal Screws Winged - 50 Pack. They are self-drilling and designed to fix timber to metal substrates. Please note, if you are mounting timber to a Colorbond fence it's important that it be fixed onto the posts and not the fencing sheets as the screws will pose a hazard to those on the other side of the fence. 

It sounds like you are planning on putting on your own set of decorative panels? Any photo updates you can provide while installing them would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Dazzag
Getting Established

Thanx Eric,

Dazzag
Getting Established

Hi Eric,thanks.just wondering can I get the timber cut at Bunnings n how much is it,prob need 5 lengths cut at 2.38 metres each 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dazzag,

We can cut the timber for you, but there can be slight variance of 10-20mm on the cuts. If you need the length to be precisely 2380mm, it would be best to have them cut slightly oversized, and you can then trim them up at home.

Bunnings may charge a small fee for the timber cutting service. The first two cuts are free, and then it's 50 cents for any additional cut.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects