Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard landscape ideas wanted

asava17
Growing in Experience

Backyard landscape ideas wanted

1000003196.jpg

1000003199.jpg

Hi guys, I'm looking at landscape solutions for my backyard, the backyard which is too huge for my liking. Currently I'm sick of tired of cutting so much grass and I want to provide some shade also.

I thought about  putting a pergola and some low maintenance plants at the back corner of the yard and mulching it all and especially down the fence line. Please feel free to give any ideas or inspiration, thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Backyard landscape ideas wanted

Hello @asava17 

If you're looking to enhance your backyard landscape, start by creating defined zones for different activities. Incorporate a comfortable seating area with outdoor furniture for relaxation. Planting easy-to-maintain shrubs and flowers can add colour and vibrancy without requiring advanced gardening skills. 

Consider adding a path and pathway lighting to illuminate the space and create a welcoming atmosphere in the evenings. If space allows, a small vegetable or herb garden can be both rewarding and manageable for beginners. Utilize mulch to reduce weed growth and retain moisture in the soil. 

Here are some links for ideas and inspiration:

I also suggest having a look at this featured project - Mediterranean-inspired outdoor renovation by @LaCasaDIY. This is one of my favourite makeovers as it totally transforms the area without spending a great deal.

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving, @daniknight4 and @redbournreno for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Backyard landscape ideas wanted

Hi @asava17,

I trust you found Eric's reply helpful. 

I just thought I'd add that it's understandable to feel a little overwhelmed when you have such a large backyard to know where to start. The key will be coming up with a plan and breaking it up into small manageable projects. Experienced member @Adam_W shared a guide How to plan a garden makeover that should be a great resource for you.

Once you've had a bit more of a think (and hopefully got some inspiration from the community projects Eric has referred you to) then sharing some more of the things on your wish list with our wonderful community will also help you to get more specific and helpful advice. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects