Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard vegetable garden makeover - This is my happy place

annettespanski
Having an Impact

Backyard vegetable garden makeover - This is my happy place

A41024FA-DACC-4443-AF98-57DF2E1B0E4A.jpeg

Attracting Wildlife and producing yummy organic vegetables. 

72E81A55-1F59-49FD-9A40-73BF62E482E9.jpeg

A total waste land with only a palm tree and sick peach tree. 

69B4C306-F64F-40D0-93FD-4ED8840A75D9.jpeg

The clearing of all the stones, which we just gave away. 

97B641F2-5A28-4D94-BC38-2D1874443D4E.jpeg

We started with 4 railway sleeper beds , but now have six. We planted a mulberry tree, mango and feed the peach tree that is now very healthy and happy. We placed passion fruit on the right side to hide ugly fence. 

A582B923-9D75-4E1E-8437-4003820304E7.jpeg

I wanted a ‘ feature tree’ so I saved this 10 unwanted year old beauty from death. All we had to do is dig it out, which wasn’t too hard work. The hardest part was getting it home in one piece. With some good soil and garden food the flowers were amazing in spring. 

BE05D5B5-4B03-448C-83AD-21F8D8687343.jpeg

Before and After  My husbands shed is now a great work shed with electricity and windows. Gotta love the hard wood barn doors. My husband and I redid shed and only had help with the  bessa bricks. 

We also planted Lillie Pillies not only for privacy reasons but also to hide ugly fence.

   

EFD13BC6-4A5C-4D50-8B05-C648156BB187.jpeg

My tree children are getting bigger. How beautiful do they look? No ugly  fence.  New grass ,  step titles  and grey water tanks . The water comes from the main house roof. Simon again did all the installation and digging of water pipes.

E4E0666E-4519-4D8D-937C-468AC7BA1C26.jpeg

8CFC355F-FBB2-4EF0-A09D-C6AC4CC3F263.jpeg

 my beautiful white hanging baskets 

42BDAD32-8A6B-4FB0-BBD2-AC8AAF10BA66.jpeg

This was the backyard when we moved in 1.5 years ago. Sad and in need of trees and love

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Backyard vegetable garden makeover - This is my happy place

Hi @annettespanski,

I just love your backyard makeover! Your garden is overflowing with amazing plants and veggies, you mentioned it is attracting wildlife, what visitors have you had so far? I also really like how you made the walkway to the shed greener, much more inviting. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looks great @annettespanski, congratulations. It's terrific to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community and jump in and share such inspiring projects. We are looking forward to seeing more.

Welcome to the community. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We're also always on hand to ensure you can get the most from the Workshop site. You'll find loads of like-minded people are sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects on the site every day.  

Jason

jennih
Cultivating a Following

Inspirational 

I sm in the process of digging through clay and grass roots to make my vegetable patch.

Using gypsum and compost to soften the clay.

Hard work but have just done the first section and planted onion chive and cauliflower seedlings.

Thanks Katie for the positive comments. We removed all the bessa blocks that were placed all around our block fence line, and used them to revamp the shed. This allowed flow through the place, and blue tongues could now come check out a garden full of food for them. My husband build a blue banded blue hotel, within six months we have half occupancy rate lol They are one of the the reasons our garden grows so well, as they a master pollinators! The magpies and Carrawongs  love the bird bath. So do the dragon flys . We have mummy possum come with baby every few weeks. She now has her own hideaway box in corner of shed, she keeps it very clean. Oh yer we did inherit one huge palm tree in corner of backyard, it’s messy but the fruit feeds many bird species such as fruit bats, honey eaters and lorikeets. We have just built a hard wood next box for one luck couple we come to visit us and love grapes. 

8558DD32-DE59-4093-9AB5-8FCA16EDF3B4.jpeg

58CA454F-D0D2-451E-A257-D34DE8777293.jpeg

6D21794F-5017-40E1-9DDC-6BEFEC6C17B8.jpeg

7667D75C-198A-42E4-B9DB-62AF107AFC8B.jpeg

C8A5791C-267A-4D90-B946-87BC587476B6.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @annettespanski

Thank you very much for sharing such an inspirational garden makeover. I can only dream of making my backyard this beautiful and wildlife friendly. I love how you've transformed aspects of your garden but kept the practical parts of it such as the paving steps towards the shed. Providing a home for the possum instead of trapping it and letting the rest of the wildlife in instead of trying to keep them out. 

The Lillie Pillies look wonderful and do a great job of hiding the Colorbond fence. Do you by chance have a photo of your feature tree with the flowers blooming? 

Again, thank you for sharing your fantastic garden makeover.

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

This is a picture of our feature tree starting to bloom. Since frangipani trees loose all there leaves , I decided to place some white flowers near the trunk to dress it up until her flowers came back. 
We were also surprised how beautiful a sad peach tree in the back corner of the backyard gave as so much pink blooms and even more fruit All we did was preen and feed it

729AA6B7-97C1-41F1-BD7F-4073327B7CB1.png

. Unfortunately we didn’t know about fruit flys which attacked every peach. So we let the fruit bats eat them all last year. 
does anyone recommend any spray to use to stop them eating our crop this year? 

C81B88EA-5BD1-4BCB-92FB-952F20BFA72A.jpeg

95417645-7249-475B-9AA8-161C172000D1.jpeg

ED1B5CDA-FD69-4C08-B063-BCBD2A40F2D2.png

Wow, @annettespanski, so many wonderful visitors! I hadn't heard of the blue-banded bee and had to look it up, I am glad I did, they are just gorgeous. I can imagine they are very busy in your garden. It makes me so happy that you have created such loving homes for the wildlife around you, both big-ish and small 😊

Katie

janelled
Cultivating a Following

Looks like a really productive garden and a relaxing place to be in. Well done!

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Great work with this. Almost a new yard. Great gardening projects. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects