Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Balanced fertilizer recommendations wanted for chilli plants

fenz2
Finding My Feet

Balanced fertilizer recommendations wanted for chilli plants

Hi there, 

I'm growing a lot of chili plants in my garden and have been researching the best fertilizer to use and have been recommended to use a balanced NPK ratio. Does anyone have an recommendations on something I can pick up from Bunnings like a 10-10-10, prefer liquid but other suggestions also welcomed. Many I've seen tend to be higher on the nitrogen and not great once the plants get to flowering and fruiting. Thanks 

PXL_20230118_232051262.PORTRAIT~3.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Balanced fertilizer recommendations wanted for chilli plants

Tagging @bergs in this discussion - our most passionate and experienced chilli grower on the Workshop community.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bergs
Making a Splash

Hi @fenz2

Chillies are easy to grow as long as the weather is warmish. I keep my own seed which means it is acclimatised to my area (Geelong, Vic.) For fertiliser I use my home made compost made with the normal green layer covered by a brown layer and dirt from old pots to recycle it. A layer of cow manure (whatever you can get hold of), some blood and bone and wood ash. Keep it moist and turn it over every 3 to 4 weeks and when ready use anywhere in your garden. I also collect egg shells and grind to a powder in an old coffee grinder then add at planting (calcim carbonate). Water in with liquid seaweed and add a bit of Black Grit (calcium silicate). Below are some Nellie Kellie chillie plants in their second season and a Manzano that I planted in 2017, I think it has just about reached its use by date. The seasons haven't been real good here the last three years as we really haven't had any Spring. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers bergs

16741729905208972260340847269815.jpg

16741730242941089181182126380283.jpg

Be happy and care for your tools
fenz2
Finding My Feet

@bergs thanks for the reply and the tips. Will keep in mind as I prep my beds for next season. 

My chilis are established in the ground (see picture above) and looking for some suggestions for something to add as the season goes on if you had any tips for that. I don't unfortunately have my own compost going as yet, so looking for something else I might be able to get off the shelf. 

Cheers 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @fenz2,

I'm not sure that you'll find many balanced NPK fertilisers. That would typically be far too much phosphorus than most plants need in relation to the nitrogen and potassium components. 

I use Yates Dynamic Lifter on my chillies all throughout the growth and fruiting stages and end up with so many chillies I can't give them away. However, if you've not experienced great crops, I suggest switching to something designed for flowers and fruit, like Yates 1kg Thrive Flower And Fruit Soluble Plant Food. It has an NPK of 14: 2.6: 21 and is a fast-acting, complete fertiliser ideal for flowering and fruiting plants. It's a specially formulated blend of nutrients rich in phosphorus, potassium, and trace elements. It will help encourage prolific flowering and fruiting. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @fenz2  I love growing Chilli’s. 
I liquid feed every 3-4 weeks with Charlie Carp 

I also use Sulphate of Potash every 3 weeks to produce heaps of flowers. 
Back off on high nitrogen as they will be healthy with heaps of growth and no flowers. 
I also have lots of Pollinator attractors in the garden to attract bees and beneficial insects in and increase pollination. Hopefully this will help you . I’ll post a couple of photos soon 😄

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@fenz2  here’s a couple of photos ( I didn’t want to over do it )from our Edible garden. I’ve got heaps of Carolina Reapers growing and plenty of other chilli varieties 🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶

Jalapeño 
03C73EA8-2396-456F-AA4F-D5A9651A49D8.jpeg

95560B83-9750-4CB6-AAC3-3F40E69197CD.jpeg

37EBC03B-B980-44F4-8E03-0627D5C0C6FF.jpeg

Slim Hot  

DEE45DB7-E1E1-419F-B3F3-315E66A7F90D.jpeg

 Mini Mama Capsicums , Mini Roma Tomatoes and Tomato Truss - Trusty 

06E2A5FA-DBE5-41B2-9430-5B808D550AC6.jpeg

  

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@fenz2  I overwintered this Thai Chilli from last summer and fed it up, hit it with Sulphate of Potash and now it’s loaded with fruits - 2nd year 🌶🙂

F26B4EF6-1DE6-4E93-8653-9FA5F2B6C9CC.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects