Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best soil mix for garden beds in WA?

Mchlle87
Just Starting Out

Best soil mix for garden beds in WA?

Hi!

My kids and I would very much love to start our own veggie patch and herb garden. While waiting for our seeds to germinate, I'd like to know what would the preferred soil mix be for WA please? I believe our backyard soil is made just out of sand and possibly, clay. Nothing grows on ground besides weeds during winter hence why we'll be planting in garden beds.

We're thinking of carrots, cabbage, lettuce, sage, thyme and oregano for now. Tomatoes and basil, later on.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden Beds

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mchlle87. It's wonderful that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

I'd recommend a 50/50 mix of both Scotts Osmocote 25L Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Premium Potting Mix and Scotts Osmocote 25L Compost Premium Soil Improver. You might like to add a bag of ANL 25L Cow Manure for some additional organic matter. Outstanding quality mixes like the Osmocote range are the key to success when creating a veggie and herb garden. They include wetting agents, growth stimulants, and a fertilizer that feeds for four months.

I'd also like to suggest you take a look at our range of raised garden beds. Mine has been fantastic as it places the veggies and herbs at a great height for my young daughter to harvest easily. This My First Garden 550 x 350 x 410mm Bright Red Raised Garden Bed is super cute as well.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to fill a raised garden bed by @Noelle.

Please let us know if you need further advice or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects