Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best summer vegetables - Growing tomatoes

Grub80
Making a Splash

Best summer vegetables - Growing tomatoes

Hi All, Just wanted to share my favourite Fruit/Vegetables to grow in Tomatoes. I have planted a variety of Tomatoes this year, mainly purchased from Bunnings or grown from seed. Our new hoop house has been a great development in our feeding our family, and has been working really well. I hope your toms are growing well and enjoy the fruits of your labour Our new hoop shade houseOur new hoop shade house

Variety - Rou De MarmandeVariety - Rou De Marmande

Variety - Genuwine its HugeVariety - Genuwine its Huge

Variety - Grafted AppolloVariety - Grafted Appollo

Variety - TigerellaVariety - Tigerella

Varieity - RomaVarieity - Roma

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Best summer vegetables - Growing tomatoes

Oh I love the shade hoop and your beautiful tomatoes !!!!!

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

IMG_2092.jpg

My tomatoes amongst other herbs ! Slight crowding due to my amateur planting!

Absolutely brilliant ! Mine are coming along well so far. Hoping they work out well !

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Grub80,

Unfortunately, I have not been as successful as yourself. A few weeks back I had a break out of the little green caterpillars and they managed to eat holes all through most of the leaves on several plants by the time I even noticed them. There were hundreds of them so I sprayed the plants down with Mavrik as it is what I had on hand. This killed the majority of them but I have now discovered that they had eaten holes into just about every tomato that was on the plants and ruined them all. I've removed all those tomatoes and am now hoping the outbreak is under control.

It's really disappointing to see all your hard work go down the drain. I really hope we at least get some crop from the plants. Many thanks for sharing your progress as it gives me inspiration and hope for next year.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Looking good @Grub80. 👍 That shade house is awesome.

Looking good too @diy_hausdesigns

That a real shame @MitchellMc. Hopefully your plants will fight back and still produce something for you.

I've planted 2 packets of tomato seeds (2 varieties) in the last couple of months and all seedlings died off at a tiny stage. 

Not sure if my greenhouse got too hot or my home made seed raising soil was rubbish.

My neighbour gave me about 8 seedlings ( 4 varieties) and they are doing well, so hopefully I'll have success with them.

Pomodorro
Finding My Feet

Amazing!

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Pomodorro.

We'd love to hear about your garden projects or plans when you're ready to share. We have plenty of talented members like @Grub80 who can offer ideas and advice for your projects.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects