Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Black ants in garden and garden bed

charlotte1
Getting Established

Black ants in garden and garden bed

I start seeing lots of black ants in the garden. Do I need to do pest control? It cost me $260-300 which is very expensive. Any effective way to do it myself? I used to live in apartment and city, moving to a house in suburb with a garden is a challenge to me as I have to learn everything from the start. Thank you of all you. I really appreciate all helps from all of you in this Group. 

charlotte1
Getting Established

black ants

Any plants in pots or grow in garden bed can deter black ants?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Black ants in garden and garden bed

Hi @charlotte1,

Are the black ants doing any harm? If not, then I would suggest that you should leave them alone. Ants move approximately the same amount of soil as earthworms, loosening the soil in the process and increasing air and water movement into the ground. They keep the ecosystem clean of dead insect carcasses and aid in the destruction and decomposition of plant and animal matter.

The only time I've ever used poison to control them is when they are persistently trying to enter my home. If they enter your home, placing a couple of drops of Combat 50ml Ant-Rid Insecticide on the trail and entry point will stop them quickly.

If you wish to remove the ants in the garden, you can sprinkle Richgro 2.5kg Ant Killa Insecticide Granules around the locations you see them most or the perimeter of your home. Alternatively, try growing Tansy around your garden. It's terrific at repelling ants and flies, so you might want to plant it outside your back door or near windows. You should find this guide useful: How to grow and care for Tansy 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Black ants in garden and garden bed

Hi Charlotte,

Are the ants causing you any problems? If not, I would leave them alone. There are ants in every garden, and they're part of a healthy ecosystem. You can save yourself some time and money just by leaving them be.

I only poison ants if they're getting into my kitchen cupboards...

Cheers,

Brad

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects