Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Black spots on tomatoes

Ricochet
Getting Established

Black spots on tomatoes

Hi, Does anyone know what these blackspots on my tomatoes are, how I could get rid of, and do they make the tomatoes unedilble?        What are those black spots?What are those black spots?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tomatos

Hi @Ricochet,

I might need to call in some of our experts @Noelle, @Adam_W and @mich1972 on this one. I don't believe the black spots will make the tomatoes inedible, but I can't pinpoint exactly what is afflicting them.

I would presume any tomatoes being grown at this time of year will be relatively susceptible to diseases. As it is now almost winter, the plant itself will be putting most of its energy into surviving.

I look forward to hearing from our knowledgeable members and you finding a solution to this issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Black spots on tomatoes

Hi @Ricochet 

The black spots will not make the fruit inedible - they appear to be either blemishes or maybe insect damage. If you don't like the look of them, blanch and peel the tomatoes before eating them by dropping into boiling water for a few seconds then refreshing them in cold water. The skins should then be easy to peel off.

The plants may not even ripen the fruits depending on where you are, as tomatoes generally won't ripen once night time temperatures drop to below 8-10 degrees. The plants will die off too.

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: Black spots on tomatoes

Hi @Ricochet from the look of that leaf colour those plants are really at the end of their season!
As @Noelle mentioned, likley some sort of insect damage. Depending on where you are it may be fruit fly in which case the fruit may well be damaged you'll only really know that as the fruit get larger as with fruit fly 'stings' the area starts to get squishy.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects