Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Buffalo Turf - Instant

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

Buffalo Turf - Instant

Hello Mate,

We are close to completion of new home and preparing to level backyard close to 100sq.m. Looks it as a clay soil. 

Contractors will level the land for us and we would like to buy the turf from Bunnings and lay it ourself, giving us a hands on experience.

I'm wondering on the quality of the soil (as current) and tests to perform for improving it, thereby preparing a procedure for laying out Turf. 

I watched video from Bunnings and noticed 'Soil loam and Gypsum' are needed. Unless I know about currrent quality of soil, I will not be able to prepare required soil + gypsum for enhancing quality of the soil.

Can you please share on how to improve the quality of the soil and what materials should we need to buy for it.

Thanks a million to start our green that adds to the nature of this world, even a drop of water, it counts to ocean.

Best Wishes

M.Muthu

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Buffalo Turf - Instant

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nagumuthu. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

It's fantastic to have you join us and we look forward to helping prepare for your new lawn. If there is clay present in the soil there can be drainage and root penetration issues. I would advise spreading Richgro 15kg Natural Gypsum Clay Breaker over the area or using Groundbreaker 2.8L Hose On Soil Treatment And Clay Breaker. You can then lay down Scotts Lawn Builder 25l Topdress Mix And Underlay Organic Lawn Soil with some Scotts Lawn Builder 4kg Organics Lawn Food And Soil Improver to assist in the initial growth of the lawn.

Once the soil has been prepared you can then start laying your new turfed lawn. Here's a step-by-step D.I.Y. tutorial for How to lay turf which I trust you'll find useful in the process. 

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had other questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects