Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Buffalo lawn turned yellow

Jonathon
Getting Established

Buffalo lawn turned yellow

Apologies first if it seems I could only get my first post here. But I eagerly looking for some help about my lawn.

My buffalo started turned yellow during last winter. I thought it was dormancy, so I dethatched, aerated and fertilized it two weeks back.

The lawn did show some green, but I think it is caused of dethatching.

Any advise will be appreciated.

grass 2.jpg

grass 3.jpggrass 4.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to improve your lawn this Spring

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jonathon. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your lawn issue.

Can we ask what fertiliser you used two weeks back and did you apply it by hand or with a spreader? Have you had much rain and/or been watering the lawn? Was the lawn starting to grow quite tall and you cut it back reasonably low?

If you used a slow-release lawn food it might not have had enough time to show significant results as yet. If there has been no rain and you are not been watering then the fertiliser might not have activated. When Buffalo grows out and you cut it back low it often appears similar to this, yellow in some patches and green in others.

We look forward to hearing more about your lawn project and offering some great advice.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc, thank you for the reply. I used CHAMPION Mineral Lawn & Fairway Fertiliser (slow release) with this spreader, https://www.bunnings.com.au/scotts-lawn-builder-evengreen-drop-fertiliser-spreader_p2972671. The lawn was like this yellowish already, just worse. Dethatching help get ride of the dead leaves a lot so the yellow area is smaller.

I am at Sydney, So there should be plenty of rain recently. Even before this, I keep watering it twice a week. for 40 minutes. and I did not have a chance to mow after applying the fertilizer, planning to do it next week.

And actually you are right about the cut back which happened early 2019 while I was oversea and it grew tall then I cut it back. then I think the runner is bit too long. I did the research on this, planning to follow this steps. https://www.myhometurf.com.au/lawn-tips/how-to-mow-an-overgrown-buffalo-lawn/, to get the grass back to normal high after I could get my lawn back to lush green.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jonathon

I am not personally familiar with that fertiliser but I would assume with adequate watering you would see some significant growth. Did you make sure to apply the fertiliser in the required amount of 2-4kg per 100 square meters?

Let me mention @Adam_W to see if there is anything he could add to the conversation.

Mitchell

hi @MitchellMc . I am sure that I applied based on the rate that mentioned on the bag.

I am thinking manual dethatch on the worst area, mow it then apply seasol (https://www.bunnings.com.au/seasol-2l-buffalo-lawn-fertiliser-twin-pack_p0029268) see if it helps.

Another advise I am getting is top dressing. but I am not sure with the current condition. ( still some thatch ), putting another layer of soil on top would be a good idea? Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Jonathon,

I would personally try some Seasol and if there was no response to it I would then top-dress and apply another fertiliser. I don't believe the thatching is causing the grass not to grow.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc, will do. thanks for the advise.

Hi @Jonathon 
Sounds like you are doing most things right.
Most buffalos do look a bit tired after winter so not unusual at all. Best way to avoid this is to feed at 1/2 rates with a quality slow release in late Autumn or early Winter.
I'm not familiar with the fertiliser you used but it appears to be a slow release that works for up to 3-months so trick now is don't re-feed as that may over-feed and do more harm than good.
Seasol or similar is good but just use a straight seaweed version, not one with extra fertilising as you'll be doubling-up.
I think you may actually be over-watering. This can cause patchiness, yellowing and sparse growth.
I'd look at maybe reducing the watering, especially if it's been raining, and probably apply a soil wetter so that you reduce run-off & water wastage and help the fertiliser penetrate the soil.
Keep us updated!

Jonathon
Getting Established

Thanks @Adam_W . Very good suggestion. I will keep an eye on the overfeeding.
I am current using a smart irrigation controller. it is 20 minutes session, twice a week. Mondays and Fridays in the morning. when there is rain, the controller would stop watering for the current one.

Am I getting a right setup? Any suggestion is welcome.

Hi @Jonathon 
Sounds like you are getting things well sorted out. Always hard to say if that watering is correct as their are so many localised variable - number of daylight hours, windy (winds sucks moisture as fast as heat), soil underneath etc. etc. so really just check the soil until you get a better idea.
Ideally only water as it goes dry rather than keeping it damp/moist.
Good luck!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects