Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I plant a Coleonema Sunset now?

Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

Can I plant a Coleonema Sunset now?

I bought this subject plant yesterday. Can I go ahead with planting it on my flowerbed?

It appears you advise planting time as January.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I plant a Coleonema Sunset now?

Hi @Ngnra

Thanks for sharing your question about the Coleonema. The recommended time to plant it is in summer, the month of January would be the middle of the summer season. I worry that by planting it now it might have a hard time establishing itself going into the colder months. But the good news is that once it has established itself it is actually a very hardy plant. It's a drought-tolerant plant and does not require a great deal of water in winter.

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let u know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Ngnra 

Planting in mid to late Spring would be the best option, so the plant has a chance to acclimatise and establish before the onset of Summer's heat.  Planting evergreen shrubs during temperature extremes (mid Winter or mid Summer) is not ideal.

Your shrub will thrive in its pot until it is time to plant it out so long as you don't let it dry out.

Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your reply.

I bought it day before yesterday from your airport shop and planted it yesterday on my flower bed.

hope it will survive!

under this circumstances what advise can you please offer?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects