Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I prune overgrown rose bushes in summer?

Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

Can I prune overgrown rose bushes in summer?

Gardenhelp_0-1708484781162.jpeg

Gardenhelp_2-1708485514323.jpeg

Hi,

I have 2 over grown rose bushes as shown in the photo . They have been planted close to each other. The pink rose has grown higher than the yellow ones. As it is summer, I wonder if it will be safe to prune these plants? Can I cut the stems at the bottom of the plants? How can I stop / prevent one from growing in to the other plant? I really do not know how to manage these plants. They have a lovely smell.

2. Hydrangea in pot  has brown leaves and the flowers do not look healthy. Not sure if infection. What can I apply to grow them better. ? Can I re plant this in the garden bed which is on the west side of the property?

Thank you for your time and help.

Kind regards

Gardenhelp

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can I prune overgrown rose bushes in summer?

Hi @Gardenhelp,

Best to leave the roses alone until winter when the plant is dormant. You can find great advice from expert @Noelle in her guide How to prune roses.

For advice on caring for your hydrangeas, check out the Bunnings guide. Noelle might be able to add some tips about caring for your plant and when might be the best time to consider moving it.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Can I prune overgrown rose bushes in summer?

Hi @Gardenhelp 

Jason's advice about cutting back the roses is right - leave them until mid winter when they are dormant.

Your hydrangeas don't look at all bad for this time of the year - they are at their peak around Christmas. The flowers will lose their good colour and turn autumnal shades from mid to late summer, as will the leaves. So long as the plant isn't wilting in the heat, it will be OK. Like your roses, things like pruning or transplanting into the garden should be left until mid winter, when the plant is dormant.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects