Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I put topsoil over grass and re-turf?

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

Can I put topsoil over grass and re-turf?

I have my back yard issue for a while. the most back yard soak in the water after heavy rain. i talked with a guy who did my neighbor's concrete. He said he does landscape as well. he suggested me to replace these old grass, and showed me some photo of beautiful turf. He said just put topsoil over old grass and re turf. the new grass will kill the old one. i paid $1500 deposit. he started yesterday straight away. he put topsoil over old grass, and will lay new turf next Tus.  i felt not right. and  googled about it, said "the old grass will soon look like old one." " over time you will see a gradual deterioration in the condition of your lawn. Because the old grass underneath dies off, the new turf will compact itself, making drainage and root growth difficult." shall i stop him? what shall i do? and if it's ok. is the soil to close to termite boundary?

IMG_20220305_065431[1].jpgIMG_20220305_070739[1].jpgIMG_20220226_060017[1].jpg  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: can i put topsoil over grass and re turf

Hi @Nancy12,

Ideally, it would be best to remove the existing grass and start with a clean slate. However, I'd expect this would have been an additional cost. The chances are that most of the old grass will be killed off, and a portion of it might grow through into your new grass. If they are similar types, then this shouldn't be an issue.

My main concern would be that adding topsoil and new grass isn't going to solve your drainage issue or resolve any existing compaction issues. Once the new grass takes hold, you might like to consider running a strip drain in between the grass and the concrete porch edge. This will remove water from the area that appears to be sodden. You can also look at aerating your lawn to open up the old soil.

Are you in a termite prone area, and do you have an existing termite boundary around the rest of your property? Since you have brick walls, I wouldn't have thought having the soil that close to be much of an issue. You don't want the soil packed up against the wall above the damp course line. That line is generally a couple of bricks up, and it doesn't appear that the soil is that high.

If you are concerned about the approach your landscaper is taking, perhaps you could call another this week to come to take a look and give their opinion.

Let me also mention @Adam_W, one of our knowledgeable horticulturalists, to give their thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects