Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I save our grass tree?

TheHandySqirrel
Having an Impact

Can I save our grass tree?

We have an established grass tree in our backyard and it doesn't look as it did a year ago. I think its leaves are more brown and it doesn't look vital. It it dying? How can I save it?

Our soil is a layer of 30..40 cm of loam on top of clay. My hunch is that the big rains have upset it, but I'm not sure what to do.

Thank you for your suggestions.

IMG_6693.jpeg

IMG_6694.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I save our grass tree?

Hi @HandySqirrel,

If you've been experiencing a high amount of rain in your area, then there's a good possibility that the plant's roots have become waterlogged, as the clay layer will prevent the water's escape. Is there any black or yellow spots on the leaves? That could indicate a fungal issue. Grass trees are particularly susceptible to root rot and typically need to be planted into a mound of soil well above any clay layers.

How long ago was the grass tree planted? 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Mitchell,

thank you for your reply. Yes, we had a lot of rain and that might be a possible reason. I think there might also be some fungus, see the new picture I took.

It's an established tree that was there when we moved in about 18 months ago. 

Is there anything we can do to make it happy again?

Thank you!IMG_6718.jpeg

Hi @TheHandySqirrel,

There is not much info out there about diagnosing issues with grass trees. Since the tree was there when you moved in, it's hard to tell whether this could possibly be a transplant failure. An issue with grass trees is that they need to be transplanted with much of the surrounding soil. The soil contains microbes called mycorrhiza, and the tree roots need them to survive. If too little of the soil was bought with this plant, it could have finally succumbed to a bad transplant.

I'd be interested to know if the caterpillar pictured has anything to do with it. The only reference I can find to a caterpillar is whitchetty grubs, and this is not one.

You might like to trim most of the dead lower skirt off the plant to see if that exposes any issues. Often an excessively decomposing skirt can harbour various creepy crawlies. In the bush, fire would keep this skirt in check.

Let me tag one of our horticultural experts, @Noelle, to see if she has any thoughts. 

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc,

the grass tree's leaves have gotten browner and browner by the day, so I decided on some drastic measures.

I removed most of the dead leaves which I originally had planned on keeping as animal habitat until we have planted more shrubs. While doing that I noticed that ants had made a nest within the leaves layer. Since I wasn't sure how much this affects the tree I decided to give them notice by smouldering the outside of the grass tree. This happens in the wild a lot as well and gives the tree its (now considered racist) name "blackboy". 

I am really hoping that this helps the tree survive. Whilst removing the dead leaves I noticed small, fresh shoots at the bottom, so the tree seems to either fight to survive or rejuvenate from the bottom. Either way, I'm going to do my best to help it along. It's such a beaut!

Smouldering burn to scare away any pests living in the tree. Note the hose I used to water the base of the tree and its small offshoots prior to burning.Smouldering burn to scare away any pests living in the tree. Note the hose I used to water the base of the tree and its small offshoots prior to burning.

After the burn. If the ants return I might have to reburn.After the burn. If the ants return I might have to reburn.

Love it @TheHandySqirrel!

Nothing spurs new growth in an Australian native like a lick of fire. I've some experience with Melaleuca and fire burning. The amount of new growth it pushed out directly after burning was astonishing.

I'm hoping your plant can hang in there.

Mitchell

@TheHandySqirrel 

Did your leaves pull out really easy?

17023363205498259903646689482875.jpg

 all my leaves just pulled out so easily should I have done that?

I'm no expert but if you were able to pluck out each leaf with nil effort then I think your tree may be dead. The problem with grass trees is that sometimes you don't know the tree has rotted roots from excess water until months later. Get your hands on some Barramundi pee "Swift grow" and see how that goes. Its got microbes that the roots will benefit from. It saved my small grass tree below about 2yrs agoThat little bit of green in center is after 2weeks + 2 applications of Swift GrowThat little bit of green in center is after 2weeks + 2 applications of Swift GrowSoz, pic is sidewaysSoz, pic is sideways

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tommygee. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Let me tag @Branfencj8804 so they are notified of your helpful advice. Great work on rescuing your grass tree.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects