Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I use crushed rock in garden bed before filling?

siva26
Cultivating a Following

Can I use crushed rock in garden bed before filling?

Hi Everyone,

I have some left over crush rock from the base preparation on synthetic turf. Can I put those crushed rock on my garden bed before filling it up with top soil and putting in flowers?

Thanks

Siva

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Crush Rock on Garden Bed

Hi @siva26,

You could certainly place the rocks into the garden bed before filling it with soil. Is there any particular reason you wish to do so, though? Perhaps to aid in drainage or to get rid of them? The only thing I would caution about is making sure you're not filling the majority of the bed up and that you're leaving adequate room for the plant's root systems.

You should find this guide useful: How to fill a raised garden bed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
siva26
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc 

Mainly I'm trying to get rid of them. But i thought I'll scatter some in the beds for draining purpose instead of just dumping them off.

Thanks

Siva

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @siva26

Do you have a garden tap? If you don't have a cement base where the waterfalls onto you could use the gravel as a water break. You can also use it as a base for one of your bigger flower pots. If I come across any other ideas, I'll post them here.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects