Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I use weed mat in an organic vegetable garden?

hope1
Just Starting Out

Can I use weed mat in an organic vegetable garden?

Hi Mitchell, 

I'm about to build metal raised gardens for organic vegetables. I want to know if I can use weed mat and the best way to use it 🤔 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I use weed mat in an organic vegetable garden?

Hello @hope1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about weed mat.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - Suggestion for lining a new garden bed by @ravstk. There was a reference to @Adam_W's guide - How to build a raised garden bed, specifically in step six on using drain fabric. Another guide worth looking at is - How to fill a raised garden bed by @Noelle

However, there is no reason why you can't use a weed mat at the bottom of your raised garden bed. One of the reasons weed mat is used on timber garden beds is to prevent soil from escaping through the gaps in the timber. This will not be an issue for you as you will be using steel.

If you're thinking of using a weed mat on top of the bed to prevent weeds from growing this is also possible. As long as you've cut out a sufficient exit point for the plant, it will grow normally and will not interfere with the plant's development.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your raised garden bed ready for use.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hope1
Just Starting Out

Re: Can I use weed mat in an organic vegetable garden?

A big thank you 😊 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects