Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can this pot be repaired?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

Can this pot be repaired?

I have a pot which has been cracked.  Can it be fixed and made watertight?

pot1.jpgpot2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can this pot be repaired?

Hello @ennoh 

I'm sorry to say that the damage to the pot is too severe to fix. If for example, we were to apply a fixative to prevent water from coming out, the issue would be the pressure that the soil or water would be exerting on the pot walls. For a time the repair might hold, but it would be difficult to tell when it would fail. But in case you wish to give it a go, I suggest using Gripset Betta 1kg Water Plug. Make sure to spread it evenly and that it is fully cured before putting anything in the pot.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ennoh
Building a Reputation

oh don't be a grinch Eric!   I love this pot.....    I think it was bought at Bunnings and while I was there recently I saw some massive pots - do you know if they sell smaller ones?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ennoh 

I'm so sorry. If I knew that this pot was special to you, I would have made more recommendations. Shall we take it to the next level of repair? I suggest using Selleys 290ml Grey Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant. Please make sure that the inside of the pot is clean and free of dust and debris before applying the sealant. I recommend using the Pro Renovator 75mm Plastic Scraper to spread the sealant over the entire interior of the pot. Leave the sealant to cure for a day or two. You can then fill it up again with soil or water. This will provide you with a water-tight seal, but it will not provide any extra stiffness to the damaged wall. Bunnings carries a wide range of pots. I propose visiting your local store to find out if they carry any of the medium-sized pots your after.

Happy Holidays

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ennoh
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric, I love the copper colour.  My damaged pot has a twin, and an older brother that/s about 3 times as big as they are, so I don't want to break up the family, so to speak :-).       I will do as you suggested.   Another solution I found online was this:

https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/factsheets/mr-fix-it---repairing-pots/13342788

But I prefer using glue so maybe I will do as you say and also do the copper wire thing

Many thanks!

Ennoh

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects