Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you put retaining wall blocks against a Colorbond fence?

Quilly
Getting Established

Can you put retaining wall blocks against a Colorbond fence?

We have a small courtyard with a strip of dirt. 

What can we put against the colorbond fence to protect it from the soil? We're hoping to level out the soil, so it's level with the concrete and so we can put in a dichondra lawn. 

We were thinking a single line of retaining wall blocks? But would these have to be set down a certain distance from the fence to prevent moisture buildup? Open to other ideas. 

Garden 1.jpgGarden 2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you put retaining wall blocks against a colorbond fence?

Hi @Quilly,

I suggest you would lose far less room if you used sleepers instead of retaining wall blocks, given they are only 50mm thick. It might be a little difficult, given the proximity of the fence, to install steel posts in foundations, though you could provide support by hammering in a series of Jack 450mm Sleeper Peg Steel Flat Stakes behind the sleepers. Having sleepers pegged into position is likely a more secure retaining system for your soil rather than blocks, as blocks will tend to migrate over time.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Quilly 

In  addtion to @MitchellMc  suggestion which will work.

I might use villaborad strips cut up and metal screwed to the fence rail so you can have a thiner edge and it can be higher than the color bound rail by 50 mm as a guide and 50mm into the dirt blocking all the  dirt and rain splashed dirt from getting into fence rail stopping it from draining.

Cut  taller strips for under the end fence  with the basket ball hoop. 

James Hardie 2400 x 1200 x 6mm 2.88m² Villaboard Lining - 2400 x 1200 x 6

$41.20

Quilly
Getting Established

Thanks, but regardless of what we choose to do. Do we still need a gap between the fence and the sleeper or blocks? How big of a gap does this need to be?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you put retaining wall blocks against a Colorbond fence?

Hello @Quilly 

I suggest a gap of 20mm between the sleeper and the fence. That should be enough space to allow evaporation to occur should water or moisture get in between them. It's also big enough for you to fit a flat pointed trowel to dig out weeds, soil and debris.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @Quilly 

I had to go and look up what a dichondra lawn was :smile:

Thats going to look nice :smile:

With your two photos, the first one looks like the base of the fence is level with the soil in the yard, the second one it looks like the soil has already been put against it? At least the second last panel?

I always worry about weight pushing a fence over long term. I do like @MitchellMc 's suggestion of sleepers and posts for them. I do have another suggestion that will also help with moisture as in it wont retain it. I am thinking of using gabion basket' as there are a range of sizes available. In particular Jack 65 x 30 x 15cm Landscaper's Plant Support Garden Gabion (Just found out that they come in black as well! :surprised: 

You could place these along the fence line, I would suggest to have at least 4cm space between the fence and anything as then your neighbors cant say its causing an issue. If you calculate the height right you could also put a capping stone along the top, I would suggest to use some geotex cloth so the soil dosnt enter into the basket.

Front corner gabion wall Is one of my walls where I used the pre-made baskets. This was the 400 * 400 *800mm size, for you I would be going the smaller size and only one high. This is just to show how easy it is to use :smile: You could still grow your dichondra lawn between the concrete and the blocks with a capping stone if you wished. The water flows freely through the stone filled baskets. So no concern about moisture against the fence panels.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects