Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Caterpillars on our edible plant leaves

chengjianer
Getting Established

Caterpillars on our edible plant leaves

recently there are a lot of caterpillars on our edible plant leaves, so i bought that spray to see if it will work.

did i buy the correct one? or is there any other products that work better?

thanks!

hortico.JPG微信图片_20210216120024.jpg微信图片_202102161200241.jpg微信图片_202102161200242.jpg微信图片_202102161200243.jpg微信图片_202102161200244.jpg微信图片_202102161200245.jpg微信图片_202102161200246.jpg

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: edible plant insect

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop Community @chengjianer!

I'm so sorry to hear that your garden has been invaded by hungry pests. Thanks for sharing these photos. It make is so much easier for our community members to provide advice. Let me tag @Noelle and @Adam_W who may have some tips for you.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @chengjianer 

The spray you have bought will work, but only if it is sprayed directly on to the caterpillars and other pests - it is what is known as a contact insecticide. It needs to make direct contact with the pests.

You may do better with a tomato and vegetable dust, which applies a powder to the leaves of your vegies. When the caterpillars crawl over it or eat sections of leaves with the dust on them, it will kill them. It will also protect against some fungal diseases. Just make sure to wash your vegies in fresh water to remove traces before preparing them for the table.

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @chengjianer 
Another very useful one is Dipel, it's a bacteria-based product that only impacts caterpillars

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for your expert assistance, @Noelle and @Adam_W. Excellent advice, which I trust @chengjianer will appreciate.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
chengjianer
Getting Established

Re: Caterpillars on our edible plant leaves

thanks guys!

seems like the money that i need to spend on those insecticide are more expensive than the actual "products" that i will get from the plants. :smile:

but i do appreciate your info!

Hi @chengjianer,

@Noelle and @Adam_W provided alternative products, which will also work. To clarify, the Hortico 750ml Insect Killer Ready To Spray Tomatoes And Vegetables will solve your issue. However, you will need to do a few applications and hit the caterpillars with it. Give the plants a good spray down, making sure to get under all the leaves where the caterpillars hide during the day. You might have more success going out at night when the caterpillars are more active.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

Gizmo
Just Starting Out

The same thing is happening to me?   Thanks for the photos my garden looks the same (Crying)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Gizmo 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your concern about caterpillars eating your plant leaves.

I understand how you feel, we recently had curl grubs attack our ornamental plants. But I suggest the best thing to do is to keep maintaining your garden. I also recommend applying the insecticide Yates 500g Tomato And Vegetable Dust or Yates 40g Natures Way Caterpillar Killer Dipel Insecticide as suggested by our plant gurus. Perhaps there is still a chance to control the caterpillar infestation and save your plants.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects