Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Citrus tree has leaves curling and scale

Sandrine171
Just Starting Out

Citrus tree has leaves curling and scale

i bought an orange tree, and have noticed leaf curling, scale, leaves are lighter in colour on top of tree. I have seen a lot of ants and small black specs on leaves. There is new Leaf growth and small fruits growing. I’d love to save this tree, but have no idea what I need to do? It is planted in a 1/2 wine barrel. I’d be so grateful for any advice, thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Please help me save my citrus tree - leaves curling and scale

Hello @Sandrine171 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your citrus tree.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Please help me save my citrus tree - leaves curling and scale by @bm77. The symptoms you've described are very similar to those in the discussion. 

I suggest using Yates 750ml Ready To Use Nature's Way Citrus And Ornamental Spray. It contains pyrethrin, a natural insecticide derived from the pyrethrum daisy and canola oil to control a wide range of both chewing and sucking insect pests, with the bonus of added seaweed to boost plant growth.

I also recommend having a look at your watering schedule. It's important that you not over or underwater the citrus tree.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Citrus tree has leaves curling and scale

Hi @Sandrine171 

The younger leaves are often a lighter green than older leaves on citrus trees - they will darken as they mature. If you are concerned then apply a citrus fertiliser at the rate recommended on the tub or packet for a tree of your size.

The presence of ants indicates scale, which exude a sticky honey-dew that attracts ants. Because scale have a waxy covering that protects them from insecticides like pyrethum/pyrethrin, it is best to apply a horticultural oil that will suffocate them. Control the scale and ants and other associated problems (including sooty mould) will disappear. Be sure to spray the undersides of leaves as well as the top surface - scale are more often found on the backs of the leaves.

Make sure the wine barrel has adequate drainage holes in the base to allow excess moisture to drain away freely.  Water thoroughly when the top 5-10cm of potting soil feels dry to the touch. The frequency of watering will depend on weather conditions. It may be daily over summer but only once every 7-10 days or so in winter.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects