Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

royq
Having an Impact

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

DSCN1944.JPG

Easy little project at my brother-in-law's place a couple of weeks ago. Took about 5 hours and cost less than $100. Really makes a difference.

The fence is all you can see from one of the bedroom windows, so it needed something to make it less bland. However the fence is very close to the house so we wanted to do something that wouldn't take up too much space.

I made a quick video with a time lapse camera just for fun :smile:

BeforeBeforeAfterAfterDSCN1955.JPG

Thanks for checking this out, happy workshopping.

Cheers, Roy

Jane5
Finding My Feet

Re: Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

Would passion fruit be a good thing to have climbing up a Colorbond fence? Or grapevines? Or would the weight of them be too much for the fence? I have already drilled screws and wire into my fence (photo attached) but now I’m doubting whether I should have done a seperate structure. Thanks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Jane5
Finding My Feet

I should also add that because my fence is white/cream, I’m willing to try growing passion fruit/grapevines. I know previously in this discussion, someone has flagged difficulties growing passion fruit on hot fences. it’s more the weight I’m concerned with. Thank you.

Jane

joe_edgell
Growing in Experience

@Jane5 

Hi Jane.

I've grown star jasmine out the front on a gridded wire mesh panel. It is fairly fast growing and they are light weight. I like it but I do find it takes a fair bit of training and I'm cutting back a few tendrils in an effort to encourage it to bush up and fill out more, not having much luck. By the looks of what you have I'm not sure it would fill out enough to cover and screen the fence in the gaps between your wires.

In my back garden, I have planted passionfruit on mesh panel mounted on cream colorbond fence. We are in Perth, it is north facing and we regularly had temperatures in excess of 35 and even reached 45. It seemed fine and went crazy. Pic attached was taken in Marh, 4 months after planting from <2 ft high potted plant in November and it covered a 2m high x 3m wide section of fence. It has filled out and covered even more now and is pumping out fruit.

Our fence panels are very large so I had to design and mount a bit of an intricate frame of dresses H3 treated pine DAR (from memory I used 2x 12mm thick) and mounted these with hex screws to the fence posts and rails, then mounted a number of Jack 180 x 100cm Grip & Grow Wall Frame Plant Trainers to this. This meant the panels themselves are lifted about 4cm off the fence panels, which I did due to also being concerned about heat. I don't think I needed to worry though as the plant has grown up against the metal without any issues!

The fence posts are concreted in and have to cope with strong winds so while I know there are mixed views on growing heavy climbers on fences, I don't have any concerns about the weight of what I have built and the passionfruit vine.

The vines will grow up and across anything their tendrils will get gold of so should work well.

As they are very fast growing, you wont lose too much time if you did plant but then have concerns and decide you need to chop it down (i.e. you'll only have lost 6-8 months so.it doesnt set you back years).

As an extra side note, just in case you're interested, I used wooden planters (oiled them for longevity) as I think they are cooler on the roots than metal planters or pots which bake.

20240411_084606.jpg

Passionfruit are hungry, so I top up potting mix, feed them and add mulch every 6 weeks or so. Other than that, it's a case of.making sure they are well watered. I planted 'sunshine special' which is a good non grafted variety for WA.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jane5 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your climbing guide for your fence.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @joe_edgell. You've done excellent work with your wire guides, but I suspect that it will not be enough if you are planning on growing passion fruit on your fence. I agree with your assessment that the fence and wires will not be enough to hold the weight of the plant.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Hardwood and mesh trellis with planter boxes by @DIY4Knuckleheds. It's a fantastic project that you can emulate in order to create a strong support frame for your plants.

Let me call on our experienced members @DIY4Knuckleheds, @royq, and @leighq for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jane, doing something similar with mesh like in Joes Photo is a really good solution and is very was to install. I did one similar but was a little more involved with Posts, Rails and Planter Box's. We live in an area that cops a bit of rain so having the plants growing in the planter boxes stopped them from getting wet feet.

Good luck with it 👍

Thank you @joe_edgell @DIY4Knuckleheds @EricL for your advice and opinion, I appreciate it very much. We didn’t get the fence as it was here when we moved in, I guess I need to check whether it’s concreted in etc to figure out if it’s strong enough for the vines. Joe your setup looks fantastic. I was trying to do it on the cheap side I guess - anything mesh seems so expensive. I didn’t know there was a right way to train passion fruit either when I planted it so that’s wrong too, however I think maybe when I pinch off the ends of the horizonal leaders and they start shooting vertically, I could tie the vertical shoots up to the wires to almost form a lattice themselves. And use that as the framework that I prune back to every year. It’s all a bit trial and error here, being new to this. Thanks again for your advice. Jane

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects